Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google_Chrome_Material_Icon-450x450-250x250.jpg
Google has announced that it will be extending its policy that requires Chrome extensions to be hosted on the Chrome Web Store to all Mac users beginning in July 2015. Google says it is extending the policy, originally announced in May 2014, to protect users against unsafe Chrome extensions by malicious software developers.
"We originally did not enforce this policy on the Windows developer channel in order to allow developers to opt out," writes Google. "Unfortunately, we've since observed malicious software forcing users into the developer channel in order to install unwanted off-store extensions. Affected users are left with malicious extensions running on a Chrome channel they did not choose. As such, starting today we will begin enforcing this policy on all Windows channels. Mac will soon follow, with enforcement for all channels beginning in July 2015."
Google says it saw a 75% drop in customer support help requests from Chrome users inquiring about how to uninstall unwanted extensions since enforcing the policy for some Windows users. The company will continue to support local extension installs during development and installs via Enterprise policy. Developers with third-party extensions not currently on the Chrome Web Store can submit them for approval.

Article Link: Google Will Soon Limit Mac Chrome Extensions to Web Store to Curb Malware

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I should only have 1-2 extensions that are not found on the Web Store for Chrome. Hopefully those developers will submit their work for approval.

Zearin

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Eastern U.S.
Nice title

The title of this article makes it sound like Google's targeting OS X Chrome users with a handicap. It's just a security measure, and there are endless examples of similar practices from many kinds companies.

I don’t know if I’d call the title “linkbait”, but it’s close. Keep it classy, MacRumors.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The title of this article makes it sound like Google's targeting OS X Chrome users with a handicap. It's just a security measure, and there are endless examples of similar practices from many kinds companies.

I don’t know if I’d call the title “linkbait”, but it’s close. Keep it classy, MacRumors.

Google is actually saying that you can't install adblockers of any kind. Google and security? Give me a break. Less secure you are, more money google makes.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I can’t remember if I ever installed a Chrome extension from somewhere else.

TyloBedo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Google is actually saying that you can't install adblockers of any kind. Google and security? Give me a break. Less secure you are, more money google makes.

Except there are a bunch of ad blockers in the chrome web store....?

This is basically like the security measures that windows and Mac OS X have turned on by default now a days limiting you from installing applications from outside the store / unsigned. You can still turn on developer mode and install extensions locally.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

There are plenty of adblockers on the official Chrome webstore.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Look for the subtext!

All the comments missed the subtext of this action by Google -

Apple has (probably) told Google if they don't do this, they will most likely blacklist Chrome extensions at the OS level through their security mechanism they baked into the OS a few versions ago, the genesis of which came from Apple telling Oracle 'you guys do your own Java updates going forward'.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Personally Chrome is not for me, but the rest of the family use chrome with hola.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
The only Chrome extension I've installed is the Youtube Download Center tool or whatever it's called that allows me to download Youtube videos straight from Youtube.

With the latest wave of changes to YT in general it seems to have broken it anyway.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
What took them so long? The ease of malware attaching to chrome has been making me a lot of money in the past couple years.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
is this any indication apple's competitors who tout 'openness' as a selling point will start closing down, a la apple? i've always wondered if there will be a day that android/windows mobile OSs buckle under their own creations. that model, while tempting on occasion, just seems harder to manage and keep safe.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I remember a few extensions in the Google store, ad blockers/flash, were bought by entities that actually took them and made injected ads inside browser.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It makes a good substitute for Adobe Flash Player.

Don't need a substitute for something I don't have. Is anyone using flash anymore? I thought youtube was the last man standing and he finally fell. Who's left? more importantly WHY?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Don't need a substitute for something I don't have. Is anyone using flash anymore? I thought youtube was the last man standing and he finally fell. Who's left? more importantly WHY?

Many government, school, and work sites still use it. I use Click-to-Plugin in Safari, but that doesn't play well all the time.

I need a backup browser and Chrome has flash built-in so it's just easier. I wouldn't like Chrome as me default though.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Hulu for me.

Really? Hulu is flash based? Wow!!!!

I am totally amazed that a company trying to make money off a product would use flash in their product.

----------

Many government, school, and work sites still use it. I use Click-to-Plugin in Safari, but that doesn't play well all the time.

I need a backup browser and Chrome has flash built-in so it's just easier. I wouldn't like Chrome as me default though.

Thank goodness I have yet to run into any of these. I guess I wish the IRS would use flash. THat way I could fail to pay my taxes and blame them for using Flash. :D

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
All the comments missed the subtext of this action by Google -

Apple has (probably) told Google if they don't do this, they will most likely blacklist Chrome extensions at the OS level through their security mechanism they baked into the OS a few versions ago, the genesis of which came from Apple telling Oracle 'you guys do your own Java updates going forward'.

What? Can you explain how can Apple blacklist Chrome extensions?

And, by the way, Apple also will blacklist Chrome extensions on Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.