Google Maps 5.0 on iPad???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluemonkeyguy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

Well firstly, thank God that useless iPad 2 camper thread was closed. But, do you think Apple can implement, or more so, Google can update their maps app to 5.0, for iOS, so that we can get the cool features of it, including the 3d maps view style you guys saw on the XOOM?

This would be a really cool feature, especially for the iPad.
    http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/3d/

[​IMG]

2. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

3. profets macrumors 68040

The google maps 5.x and built in GPS is wonderful to use on Android (I use it on a Nexus S). I don't see Apple/Google updating this for the iPhone.. If anything maybe Apple has been working on their own solution for mapping & gps routing.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Apple develops the built-in maps app, not Google.

5. kultschar macrumors 6502a

We need downloadable maps and not rely on 3G!!

6. bluemonkeyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

So then what's holding Apple's balls from from implementing 5.0? Software? Hardware? Licensing Issues?

7. felixen macrumors 6502a

Someone should do it in cydia like they did with street view back in the day

8. shandyman Suspended

9. biosci macrumors 6502a

Custom maps and locations on iPad?

A slight tangent, but I was wondering if there was a way to import your own created maps with POI/Waypoints or view them on the iPad? Is the only way through a browser?

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Apple has posted ads for a map person a while back so I hink it's safe to say they are working harden Maps

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't know. Google has been fudging the truth about a lot of things lately. ;)

12. shandyman Suspended

google made it initially, they updated it with street view, then bailed once android picked up, thats the basics of it. we know apple have gotten hold of map related stuff, so there must be something in the works, like with the notifications system, people got hired for that too, so again, that's in works too. justa wiat and see. potentially iOS5 could be a nice bunch updated/new features if that's all ready for it.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's not what I have heard. It was created by Apple from the beginning. If you remember, a few years ago a big complaint in the Android community was that the iPhone Google maps was much better than the Android one and that was the explanation given and others, such as Gruber, has mentioned it as well.

14. shandyman Suspended

well that's how i heard it, street view went in just as android was kicking up and their maps got progressively better from there. streetview came to the iPhone late 08, the first android phone came out around the same time, so Google had already made and had the iPhone maps app running at the iPhone launch in 2007...

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

what's your source? I first read it in Android forums around 2008 and later John Gruber's comments where he specifically mentioned the Google Maps in the iPhone was created by Apple, not Google contrary to the popular belief.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Job stated in the All things D interview(the one with him and Gates, being interviews by Walt in 2007), that Google provides the data and Apple writes the actual front end app.
    I'd be willing to wager, that if Google did allow their 3D mapping api onto the iPad, it would be silky smooth, and not the jerky version we see on the Xoom at present.

17. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Ah so that is where it originally came from, thanks for the info! I found the bit on the allthingsd site.

18. FutureStan macrumors member

It wouldn't make sense for Google to "bail" on iOS's map app, You need to remember that Google is an advertisement company, and that is their main concern (and why most of their services are "free"), they want to learn about people and how they think as much as possible. But I might be wrong, this is not my playground.

19. shandyman Suspended

i read it back in 2008, not being funny but i barely remember where i read something last week, let alone 3 years ago.

20. shandyman Suspended

ok, i what i read was wrong then. well just shows not everything on the internet can be trusted! lol

well google have been quite petty about stuff for iPhone, they have held back on apps on iPhones just cos they didn't want to. think it was google voice that i read that once apple lifted the ban on apps like that, google waited another 3 months before they did make one. i'll try and find a source from that btw.

21. Gordonhbm macrumors newbie

Modifying route on Google Maps

When I plan a route on Google Maps on a desktop I can drag the route shown to a new location and get new directions automatically. On an iPad you can't drag the route as this scrolls the map. Is there a way of turning off the scrolling function so I can then drag the route to a new position? It is so convenient to do on a desktop/laptop that I regard it as essential to have the same convenience on an iPad. Any suggestions/advice please.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Dropped pins can be dragged. Search pins can't be dragged. Just drop a pin and drag it.

23. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a