Google Maps accuracy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Jun 6, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Anyone here finding the Google Maps application on the iPhone very inaccurate? I have looked up many different things on my iPhone's Google Maps application, from things such as a few restaurants, and even my college, and the pins that drop, fall into stupid places, that are MILES off from where they really are!

Has the quality of Google Maps just gone down the drain? Of course, I have tried to use the iPhone to navigate myself to a restaurant, with the place of the dropped pin, I have followed the GPS dot. It lead me to a community of houses.

2. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I haven't had the same problem. Matter of fact, I just did a search a few minutes ago and it was very accurate. I'll say that I don't exactly use Google Maps every day so my results may not be typical.

3. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

I live in the Chicago area, USA and I've used Google Maps extensively since I bought my 3G on launch day (almost a year ago). My experience is quite difference from yours: overall, I've always found Google Maps to be *very* accurate. At least in comparison to G-Map v. 1.3 (hopefully the 3.0 version coming this month will have fixed all the accuracy problems). Because the iphone doesn't have a good TBT voice GPS app YET (pre-3.0), I've been using Google Maps as my driving GPS. It's always given me the quickest, fastest, and most accurate route, but YMMV.

4. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have noticed the same problems and inaccuracies I have experienced on the iPhone with the computer version of Google Maps. I think the problem here lies with the reliability of Google in my area.

Does anyone know of a way I could report to Google that they have these locations wrong? It seems if you try to move the pin yourself to correct it, they won't listen to you, and insist that that is the right location, even though the location they have is miles off.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Google used to use the respected NavTeq data for its web page, and the usually less accurate TeleAtlas data for mobile apps.

Last year, NavTeq was bought by Nokia.

Google now uses TeleAtlas for both web and mobile maps in the USA, at least.

I've moved Google pins for houses and they've stuck. (You can't move more than a few hundred yards, though.)

Google also has a page for changing business locations. Don't have it offhand.

TeleAtlas has a correction input page here.