Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the course of the last few months, several major companies have quietly removed support for the Apple Watch from their apps. As first noted by AppleInsider, Google Maps, Amazon, and eBay have pulled their Apple Watch apps from the App Store.

Google Maps, Amazon, and eBay were all early supporters of the Apple Watch, releasing apps within a few months of the device's April 2015 debut.

applewatchgooglemaps-800x288.jpg

Checking today, none of the three companies offer Apple Watch apps, having quietly removed Apple Watch functionality through App Store updates. It's not entirely clear when each app was updated to remove Apple Watch support, with the feature elimination appearing to have largely gone under the radar.

That three major apps were able to remove Apple Watch support without much fanfare seems to explain the reasoning behind the decision to cease offering an Apple Watch app, as it suggests there weren't many people using the apps in question. Whether the removal of the apps is permanent is unknown.

Google Maps was perhaps the only app that was useful on the wrist, with quick directions to places like home and work. Amazon's Apple Watch app simply allowed for voice-based searches and one-tap purchases, something that's easier to do on a phone or computer, while eBay's offered notifications for auctions being tracked on the site, which also required the concurrent use of an iPhone or Mac to track content in the first place.

Target has also recently removed Apple Watch support from its Target app, but Apple Watch functionality remains available via the separate Cartwheel by Target app.

With the Apple Watch having celebrated its second birthday on April 24, the kinds of apps that work on the wrist-worn device are becoming more clear, allowing companies to stop using resources on content that's not suitable for a wearable device.

Update: In a statement, a Google spokesperson said the Apple Watch app has been temporarily removed but will be re-launched later. "We removed Apple Watch support from our latest iOS release but expect to support it again in the future."

Update 2: Amazon has issued a statement to CNET's Shara Tibken on its removal of Apple Watch support: "We are constantly innovating on behalf of our customers. There are a number of reasons we don't think this is the right solution for our customers at this time. We are always trying new things and look forward to experimenting with wearable solutions in the future."

Update 3: In a Twitter response to a customer question, eBay says it is "revamping" its Apple Watch app: "We are in the works of revamping it. We don't currently have a release timeframe from our mobile team."

Article Link: Google Maps, Amazon, and eBay Drop Apple Watch Support [Updated x3]

Reactions: Soccertess

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
As a Series 2 owner I think the reason is because AW2 with watchOS 3.2 is still a gimmick than a useful companion hardware.
Ok, but the implementation was there and was useful (Google Maps) so its weird they removed it. The rest of those apps, with the exception of maybe the eBay app I dont find very useful.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Smart watches are and only have been useful for receiving notifications. As someone who wears an Apple Watch every day, I've only ever used it to peak at notifications and occasionally Apple Pay.

Developers are realizing it's not worth the time to update their apps for the functionality if no one uses it.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
They don't do enough. Simple. Hopefully something changes in watchOS 4.

This. The SDK is strangling the platform - it only suits Apple's built-in Apps. If we had more freedom, we could build better and more engaging Applications.

EDIT: I'm not saying that you should be browsing the web on your watch - I'm saying that the current platform limitations mean that you can't make imaginative experiences. There are a whole world of experiences between the current "everything is a list" and full-blown rich HTML web browsing.

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ok, but the implementation was there and was useful (Google Maps) so its weird they removed it. The rest of those apps, with the exception of maybe the eBay app I dont find very useful.

I agree Google maps was useful, but their map on a wrist implementation was not as good as Apple Maps. I was hoping they would improve it rather than just get rid of it.

Reactions: LiveM and Santiago

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I used an Apple Watch for the first time this past weekend. I can understand why this device is having a difficult time grabbing hold of the market.

Design-wise, I find the rounded sides of the screen give (me) a lack of confidence with regards to interacting with the screen. How do I explain it? It's like one of those cheaper mattresses where the edges collapse easily. You find yourself wanting to hang out away from the edges. The down-sloping sides of the watch face give me that same sense of wanting to stay in the middle, and the edges feel "uncertain". It makes the workable space feel much smaller than it is.

In the watch faces above, you can see rather large margins around the edges of the usable screen. If Apple would take advantage of that, and use a flatter overall design, it would make the watch feel bigger without making it bigger physically.

I think voice will become a much bigger method of interacting with the watch than touch, and I think Apple has that goal, too. The watch has a bright future.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The only truly useful part is fitness tracking and there are arguably cheaper and better focused devices for that. If a facetime camera is ever added I might bite for that, but only because of a neato, I can't believe we can do this feeling.

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Not thrilled about it, but makes sense. Most of the apps I use on my 2015 model are stock apps and Foursquare/Swarm.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
They don't do enough. Simple. Hopefully something changes in watchOS 4.
Well, I have an iPhone. And an iPad. And a MacBook. And a 27" screen. Which one would I use for eBay or Amazon?

But I suppose what's really happening is that anyone who made a watch app because they thought they need a watch app is now figuring out that they didn't really need a watch app. Instead you want apps that are actually useful on a watch, for people who have an iPhone in their pocket.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
The Apple Watch is an amazing companion device despite what the trolls on here say.

Right now it just does too much, we need a thinner Apple Watch that does notifications, time, and basic interactions. Like the 'Macbook' of Apple Watches.

This thing is like wearing a 2011 MacBook Pro

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Watch integration is the reason I now use Apple Maps more than the Googs.

I use the watch for swim and run tracking.

I use it to turn lights in the house off and on via siri.

I use it most of all for the plethora of two-factor authentication prompts I deal with during the workday.

Was also hoping Google Maps would improve, not disappear.

andy.ringwood

Suspended
Nov 20, 2016
Well, I have an iPhone. And an iPad. And a MacBook. And a 27" screen. Which one would I use for eBay or Amazon?

But I suppose what's really happening is that anyone who made a watch app because they thought they need a watch app is now figuring out that they didn't really need a watch app. Instead you want apps that are actually useful on a watch, for people who have an iPhone in their pocket.

Yep. The only apps that make sense on a watch are health and fitness apps. Games are useless, shopping apps are useless. I could go on.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Not surprising unfortunately. Most 3rd party apps don't translate well to the tiny screen of the Watch. The ones that do are still horribly buggy. The only ones worth downloading are weather, fitness, and reminder/list apps. All of which have stock versions.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather have a 3rd party watch face store than an App Store.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
It does still feel like many are at the 'throwing stuff at the wall and figuring out exactly what sticks'-stage.

I am very happy with my Watch, but there is still undoubtedly huge room for improvement in terms of apps and the depth of functionality and information they can provide. And some things just aren't really suited for the Watch at all.

Saying that, I think it's a shame if people are dismissive of the Watch being useful for anything but fitness tracking and telling the time. On my Watch I enjoy getting football score updates, text messages, having access to short notes, a calculator... all without needing to get my phone out. Everyone's uses will vary, of course.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.