Google Maps and GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geekmommy4, Jun 5, 2008.

1. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Does anyone know why Google Maps for mobile devices and the PC are so different? Whenever I get directions from my house, Mobile Google Maps sends me down a road near my neighborhood that does not exist. That road even has a name. The interesting thing is that it doesn't show up on Google Maps on the PC. The street might have been on some obscure map several years ago, but the development in that area has been delayed by several years and is not even scheduled at this time.

I've also found that my iPhone didn't do a great job of finding my addresses. I have worked hard with it to figure out it's problem with some addresses, but it is often totally wrong on the name of the cities (like in Orange County, California where there are so many city boundaries). Once again, Google Maps on the PC is correct and almost always pulls up the right location with no problem.

The reason that I bring this up is that I am concerned about the iPhone using Mobile Google Maps as it is now for it's GPS (if that feature is included, of course). I can just hear it now telling me to turn at a street that doesn't exist or not able to find so many addresses that I enter.

Any insight?

2. kleo macrumors regular

I always have similar problems as well as the frequent "Driving directions could not be found" pop up. I really have no idea why it does this, i thought it just pulled the info off of the google website.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago