Google Maps App in iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dreamover, Sep 19, 2012.

1. dreamover macrumors newbie

Is there any reason to believe Google won't release a maps app in the App store? The Apple Maps app is pretty cool, but i like to have the choice. I mostly will miss transit directions.

2. wlow3 macrumors regular

It will be a business decision of Google. They could want to use it now as an incentive for people to switch to android phones. They're also not going to get licensing fees from Apple for the Map data anymore so it may not make sense from a revenue perspective to create an app.

I would think it would be in their best interest to hold off for a bit till more people find out what they are now missing and demand grows. If one is submitted, Apple could delay indefinitely putting it on the phone to avoid the embarrassing prospect of people switching back en mass to Google maps.

Personally I am holding off upgrading to iOS 6 because I like Google maps more.

3. Schmitty11 macrumors 6502

I think so. I see it the same as the YouTube situation. The YouTube license was up so they released a (really good) independent YouTube app

4. dreamover thread starter macrumors newbie

with their own app, they can keep it updated and make it work differently, like the superior youtube app. hopefully it happens sooner than later.

5. Decked macrumors member

I think this will come.... Google already make quite a few apps for IOS. I think Google expected Apple to push back another year. Lets face it, Apple maps isn't exactly up to speed yet.

6. andrunious macrumors member

you can always just use your browswer, chrome is pretty quick with maps

7. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I haven't missed Google Maps at all and I haven't needed to use Tomtom since having Apple maps.

8. JesalTV Guest

It's hard to tell. Only a couple of months of real world usage will give a clear indication of what state Apple Maps is in.

I just hope they really try to make it amazing.

Why can the all just get together and make sweet phonelove?

9. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Zero doubt in my mind that Google will release their own maps app. Data about where people are and what they are searching for in those locations is invaluable to Google.

10. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I'd be very surprised *not* to see a Google Maps App shortly.

Surely, an advertisement-supported Maps App, something akin to the new YouTub App, is a revenue generator for Google?

(admittedly, the adverts would need to be small so as not to impact on screen space).

11. Schmitty11 macrumors 6502

Now that I think of it, I'd be surprised if this didn't happen. Google has an iOS app for most if not all of their services.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Since MapQuest has an app, I would assume Google would do it as well. Build in some advertising and make a ton of money off the people loyal to Google Maps. I don't plan on being one of them, but I can't imagine it would take a ridiculous amount of time to do.

13. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

I thought Google said they were not only making an iOS 6 Google Maps app, but they were going to ADD free Turn-by-Turn to it to keep their presence on the iPhone.

Did this change?

14. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Google is an Ad agency, they will make google maps, inject ads like steroids and then release it.

I will download it too, because if Apple maps has a problem here or there, doesn't hurt to have a backup, but I plan on using Apple Maps mainly.