Google Maps App - why hasn't it been updated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wonderbread57, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Google is known as being a company of innovation yet the google Maps app for iPhone has remained unchanged for a year now.

A number of improvements have been made to google maps on the web and google maps for mobile that don't appear on the iPhone
    + drag and dropping of locations in the directions list
    + street view!!
    + looking up public transit routes (feature available on google.com/gmm)

These are the kind of things that makes technology exciting. Why have none of these features been incorporated into the Google Maps App after a year?

Is it because of google's focus on Android? A little over a month ago google demo'd their streetview with compas feature:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRfVKzuUJ4

Google's android group and their mobile group (that partnered with Apple) are kept separate to avoid these kinds of conflicts of interest. I wonder though if google's future competitor status is already beginning to prevent us from seeing cool Google maps upgrades among other things in the future on the iPhone.

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

personally i'd love for google maps to remember the pins i drop and be able to download reigonal maps for when i want gps/maps but am out of a coverage area.

+1 for a google maps update!

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

A year? Google Maps just got GPS (although only for the iPhone 3G) and earlier in 2008 it got an upgrade to use Hybrid View and Locate Me.

What happened to Google having a "slew" of applications ready for the Apps Store launch? Tisk tisk.

4. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Google's maps API is open and free for anyone to use right?

I wonder if a 3rd party could release an Apps Store app that has street view and incorporates more of the cool Google interface features that are so useful on the full web version.

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Because Apple made the 'Maps' app on your iPhone, not Google - they just provide the actual data, but not the app itself.

And, let's face it, It's been over a year and we still can't copy & paste or sync our notes... so it's not surprising that Apple have not updated Maps properly.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It would be nice to have walking directions now.

Street view would be so cool, but i doubt the iPhone could handle something like that right on the phone.

7. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I keep wanting walking directions - I can walk down a one-way street the wrong way, so stop sending me 5 miles in the wrong direction!

The other thing I want (as mentioned before) is the ability to download maps (not satellite images, just maps) for the UK - I don't care about losing a few GB, I just hate directing someone and having to keep saying "I don't know which exit to take, it's still loading!"

Also, what would be nice is if it would go split screen with a tracking map on one side and the upcoming junction on the other showing in detail which exit to take (or am I just entering SatNav territory? :) )

8. dranakin macrumors 6502

Drop and drag in directions would be great, as freeways are often packed or closed for construction around here, warranting alternative routes.