Google Maps can't find contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by geekmommy4, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

    geekmommy4

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #1
    When I go to Google Maps, search in contacts, and press someone's address, it says "No search results found". It worked a couple of times when I first got my iPhone over the weekend, but now it doesn't work for any contact except for my home address.

    When I type in addresses, it does a little better but still way too often gives me the same error message. I've tested the addresses in Google Maps online from my computer and it found them with no problems.

    Any idea what's up with this? I'm coming from a Treo and Google Maps worked flawlessly. I'm sure it's a great app, but something must be set incorrectly on my phone.

    Thanks!
    Lisa
     
  2. Roxerroneous macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #2
    Hi Lisa,

    I posted the same problem a few weeks back. I found that the problem was the way the addresses were formatted in the contacts. It worked for me after I specified a country for each contact. I'd try this first and if you still have problems, keep messing around with the address format and hopefully you'll find a way of inputting that works. Hope this helps.

    Brad

    Oh and out of curiosity, are you syncing with Outlook? That's what I use and am starting to think it might be a problem with Outlook and the iPhone.
     
  3. geekmommy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

    geekmommy4

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #3
    Thanks so much for your reply, Brad. Yes, I am using Outlook. I have added the country on to some of my contacts and it fixed some but some it did not. When I imported my contacts from Outlook it brought some over with a country, but not in a way that the iPhone recognized it.

    I manually added some contacts through the iPhone and Google Maps can find them. The addresses look identical in Outlook, however, after I sync.

    I suspect that my Outlook data has been around so long and has been modified by multiple Palm devices over the years that there might be non-viewable characters that are messing it up. Just a wild guess, though. It looks like I probably should have just started over with my contacts, but that would take a really long time...:(

    Oh well...it would take bigger problems than this to make me unhappy with this phone. I LOVE it!

    Lisa
     
  4. TEG macrumors 604

    TEG

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2002
    Location:
    Langley, Washington
    #4
    I have this problem with one contact, mainly because his actual address is XXX North Shore Dr., however Google, Y!, The Post Office, and Mapquest all show his address as XXX North Northshore Dr.. I've been to the street, it is named Shore Dr. I've brought this up many times to all 4 systems, and no one is willing to admit their mistake. I contacted the city, and they said that they will contact these companies to get them to correct their information.

    I had your problem when I first got my phone, my addresses were adequate enough for Google Maps, but not for Maps.app. The biggest reason, was that many of the addresses where in cities with pre/suffixes on streets (i.e. NW 215th Ave. or Aurora Ave. N) and I had not included them on some of the addresses, because they weren't used in mailing anything to these locations, nor had they been included on any correspondence. I spend a few hours one day going over these addresses and now everything works fine.

    TEG
     
  5. geekmommy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

    geekmommy4

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #5
    Thanks, TEG. I will try to figure out if that's my problem. It could be on some of them, but some of them just don't make sense why they wouldn't work.

    Many of them were fixed with just adding the United States for the country (even if they already had USA in the address that came across from Outlook).

    Lisa
     

Share This Page