Google Maps Contact Integration

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ryanmcv, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I set up my 6s Plus as a new phone (did not restore from backup). I'm trying to allow Google Maps to access my contacts so that I can simply search for someone's name in the search bar. However, I can't seem to get Google Maps to prompt me to allow access to my contacts. I don't see any options in the app's settings for contacts integration. Any ideas?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

When you sign into a Google account in the Google Maps app the contacts of that account are "integrated". It doesn't access the contacts on your iOS device directly.

3. ryanmcv thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Unless their support document is wrong, then I'm almost certain it is supposed to access your device contacts.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2839846?hl=en

It was working just fine on my 6 Plus last week before I upgraded to a 6s Plus.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That document is wrong for iOS 8.4. Google Maps doesn't appear in Settings>Privacy>Contacts. So yes, their support document is wrong.

Do you see it there? I don't know how it worked for you before!

5. ryanmcv thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Yes. It shows up on my iPad running iOS 9.0.1, and Google Maps is able to pull contacts from my iPad with no issues. It doesn't show up on my iPhone, however.

6. ryanmcv thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

7. Tiggar macrumors newbie

Tiggar

As outlined in the Google Forum Thread. Go to the app, type something in the search bar, scroll down the results and tap "Grant Contact Access".

HTH.