google maps cost anything?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rust.puppet, Dec 17, 2008.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

Does it cost money to use it or is it free if I don't use location services?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Huh? How are location services pay services anyway?

3. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

The only way it would cost you is if you don't have an unlimited data plan as the map data is downloaded to the iPhone when viewed. It is not stored locally.

4. rust.puppet thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry, for some reason I thought gps cost like 5$ a month or soMething.:.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It doesn't cost anything on the iPhone. It just uses data, so you need to be aware of that if you are on a plan without unlimited data.

I see where the confusion is though, on other phones it can cost as much as $10 a month on AT&T, but the iPhone isn't like that.

6. rust.puppet thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to know, with my 23% fan discount I just found out I had I'll be paying less with my data plan than before I got my iPhone

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    On other phones, you can get Navigator... a turn-by-turn navigation app with realtime traffic etc, which ATT charges about $10 a month for.

You might have been thinking of that.

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

To be specific, GPS uses semi-public domain broadcast signals from a constellation of satellites in orbit. Any device with a GPS receiving antenna, a clear line-of-sight to at least 3 of those satellites, and enough computational horse power to do the triangulation math unaided, can use GPS for free. The iPhone is such a device.

On the other hand, it can take several minutes for a regular GPS receiver that's just started up to get a fix on which GPS satellites are in range. When wireless data is available, the iPhone defaults to an AGPS mode, in which it uses a rough location service provided by the cellular network to get a quicker fix on the satellites to start with. Your cellular carrier might choose to charge you for that service. But with its special iPhone service, it's free on AT&T.

On the OTHER other hand, all you end up with after all that satellite communication and triangulation is a latitude and a longitude - there's no street maps, no traffic info, no route planner, nothing else. Google Maps must use a wireless data service to download a relevant map based on that latitude and longitude. Your unlimited iPhone data plan makes that download free as well.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Minor nits:

Four, unless you assume you're at sea level, or you have an atomic clock, or other assistance.

More importantly, AGPS gives the phone info on which satellites to listen for, and their exact orbits. Otherwise it could take many minutes to receive that info from the satellites themselves.

Cheers!

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

GPS is free. Paid for by the US Taxpayer. Anyone that charges extra is ripping you off!

This is not to be confused with mapping/navigation software that uses GPS though. That costs money!