Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
When you use the Directions feature in Google Maps, does it give you an estimated journey time, and distance?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
yes.

Distance and time (with traffic)

Cool, thanks.

So I guess when you turn traffic on, the estimated journey time will increase with the level of traffic? And can you then select the best/quickest alternate route to avoid the traffic?

I've found TomTom's estimates of journey times to be very accurate - are Google Maps similarly accurate?

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Cool, thanks.

So I guess when you turn traffic on, the estimated journey time will increase with the level of traffic? And can you then select the best/quickest alternate route to avoid the traffic?

I've found TomTom's estimates of journey times to be very accurate - are Google Maps similarly accurate?

I haven't used it extensively but I don't believe that it gives you that level of control.

It's not a GPS but it does a decent job of faking it.

If you're used to a tomtom this would probably leave you wanting more.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Cool, thanks.

You can refresh the traffic info, which will update the journey time, but you cannot alter your route preference. It's not (yet) GPS linked so it won't revise the directions if you deviate from its directions. You have to tell it when you reach each way point before it will give you the next leg.

You can, of course, zoom in to see what alternatives there are, but it's not a replacement for an onboard nav system with real-time traffic info.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I currently use TomTom on my PocketPC. The iPhone will do LESS for me (it'll take me longer to do things that I do frequently, and won't even do some things at all), but as soon as I saw it at MWSF, I knew I had to have one.

But, I'm confident most of the issues I have at the moment (which are all small, admittedly) will be addressed in future software updates, and/or I'll find a way to work around them (things taking a bit longer to do isn't really a problem when it's an iPhone you're doing them on!). Issues so far: no search for calendar entries/contacts, no MMS, no copy/paste, limited ringer profiles, calendar not very flexible, no "smarttype" for quick contact finding/dialling etc. As you can see, they're all things that can (and I think mostly WILL) be updated with software updates, maybe before we even see the iPhone in the UK.

So, with this in mind, I'll be getting a standalone TomTom from eBay to tide me over until Google Maps supports external bluetooth GPS receivers for sat-nav guidance, or until there's a 3rd-party iPhone sat-nav solution available. I hope this happens.

All I want to be able to use Google Maps Directions for is to be able to sit in my house (or at work) and see how long it'll take me to get from A to B, and a rough idea of the route, the day/night before my intended journey. This will save me having to get into my car and boot up my TomTom. So it looks like it'll be ok for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.