Google Maps Downgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aardwolf, Dec 6, 2007.

1. aardwolf macrumors 6502

When I first got my iPhone, I looked up my house and bookmarked it. Now, months later, my street doesn't even show up on Google Maps. It's very odd, as my street has been around for 5 years. What's even more odd is that the satellite photos show my house, even if the street view doesn't admit it exists.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

2. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I've not seen that happen. What area do you live in?

--DotComCTO

(P.S. Ooh! 100th post...now I'm a macrumors regular. Yay me!)

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

me too!!

i thought i was going crazy, yesterday my mates street is called something else and his street doesnt exist.

Whats going on google???

These maps that are on at the moment look pretty old, when the ones only a week ago looked really informative

bizarre!:(

4. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Hopefully they're just going through some sort of upgrading process or something right now... (which is possible with that new GPS-type feature they are coming out with).

5. andy007 macrumors regular

First of all i would just like to point out that google maps/earth use Tele Atlas data (who make some of the maps for sat-nav systems) for displaying road names and the general road network maps you see.

Your road could have disappeared due to Tele Atlas updating their road database and google updating to that new version. This could explain why your road could have been there one day and not the next and why the satellite imagery still shows your road but the road map does not.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

yeah, i noticed some odd things with google maps this morning.