google maps + DW

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sk3pt1c, Aug 23, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

right, i am in talks with a client about taking over their website, massive thing, will mean lots of work (and money) for me...
    they suggested we have something like google maps on the site(as well as an idea i've had for another site i'm designing at the moment)...
    and i elaborate:
    it's a sort of tourist site about the island of zante, and they want to have a map of the island and put pins on various locations of interest for cultural/social events and so on.
    so i'd like someone to tell me how i can go about doing that, and if there's some specific way of doing it via Dreamweaver, cause that's what i use for my sites.
    also, i have a naive question:
    i've noticed that iWeb can add google maps on its pages (non-customizable as i want, but nonetheless drag-n-drop easy). if i make a page with iWeb and then open it with DW, will i be able to keep the map somehow and change the rest of the page to fit my site's design? or something like that?
    i'm basically looking for an easy way to add a google map onto a site,
    and if that's not possible, some help in adding it the hard way :)

thanks in advance for your time and patience :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Google maps have a free API. I have no idea how you get it all to work, but you can actually use Google maps "plugged in" to your site and attach to it pretty much whatever information you choose.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

C'mon, don't be so lazy :rolleyes:

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

for some reason i knew typing that in my starting post was gonna come back to bite me in the as$! :)
    thing is, i don't really have the time for this and i'm trying to keep my client's budget low (meaning that if i sit down and dedicate days and days to get this to work through the API, i'm gonna have to charge more),
    hence why i'm trying to find a quick&dirty solution.
    nevertheless, no offence taken, i know us mac users are renowned for our developed sense of irony towards others...
    but please do try and focus on the question at hand :) (no offence of course ;) )

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

In short, No. What you're describing is a content management system with google maps built in. You want something quick and easy.. but there's nothing simple about the problem you're trying to solve (yet).

You have two ways of doing it. Build a web application that allows users to enter data via a form into a database and then use the gmap module to read the values out and serve it up. That's the better way, IMHO.

The other way is to write a static html page, enter in all of the marker information in manually and then you'll just add and change things the ol' fashion way.

That's it... one or the other I think. Either way you're going to have to read some of and gain at least a little bit of understanding of the google maps api in order to do what you want... I don't think there's anything that is going to do it for you.

The whole idea of using iWeb to DW to meet your client's needs... is scary to say the least.

7. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

iweb to Dw, i know i got scared even typing them both in the same sentense! :) :) :)
    thanks for the input! :)

8. Matteh117 macrumors regular

Don't agree with taking on jobs you can't do. If it requires research, then you should do it. Anyway, that's my take on things.

Could you not have an image of the map with pins photoshopped on then have an image map point on top of each pin?

Edit//
    Oh my bad. Doing it this way would require editing the html every time. Not what you want if I read it right the second time..

9. rajfantastic macrumors member

rajfantastic

the google maps API lets you feed your map using XML. it's actually pretty simple if you just read the documentation. there are even a ton of copy-paste-able examples. you should spend more time reading the docs and less time procrastinating on forums.

also there is this great tutorial.

10. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

see, if i didn't procrastinate on this forum, i wouldn't have had you to tell me not to make a thread in the first place, which defies the purpose of you actually posting on the thread! (??)
    but also i would have missed this cool tutorial you linked to, thanks a lot mate!!! :)

11. rajfantastic macrumors member

rajfantastic

i just don't understand why no one on this forum uses a google search before posting... although i guess that is a separate topic.

i searched for 'google maps api tutorial'

cheers!