Google Maps Expanding 'For You' Recommendations Tab to iOS in Over 40 Countries Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google today announced that its Google Maps app for iOS will be updated today with a new "For You" tab in over 40 countries.

[​IMG]

"For You" was first announced at Google I/O in May and was initially limited to Android. The feature is designed to "tell you what you need to know about the neighborhoods you care about," such as new restaurants opening nearby, trending spots, and more, based on places you've rated and places you've visited.

The tab is accompanied by a new "Match Score" that predicts which restaurants you're most likely to prefer based on your personal preferences, which is designed to help you to choose between multiple restaurant suggestions.

iPhone users can install the update from the App Store later today. "For You" is also expanding to over 130 countries on Android today.

Article Link: Google Maps Expanding 'For You' Recommendations Tab to iOS in Over 40 Countries Today

2. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Creepy location tracking...
    No thanks, Google!

3. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

More “for you” just means more tracking. Let me turn that **** off!

4. asa_nisi_masa macrumors newbie

5. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

I have a cheap Android for work and this feature is already on Google Maps and does my head in...

I rarely eat out and if I do it isn’t somewhere new!

6. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Carrying a cellphone means your location is being tracked, even when you’re not using a maps app. It has saved the lifes of accident victims and missing persons, and proved the guilt of suspects. Some of us are impressed that Google makes that data useful for routine activities. We want our expensive phones to do more than Memojis.

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Your location tracked by your provider is by no means the same as a commercial entity tracking your whereabouts.

What people are not aware of is that this actually does harm for businesses like restaurants which are NOT linked, they get less revenue, what is wrong about you yourself deciding which place to go.

This reminds me of the Lonely Planet Guides, many longtime travellers hate those guides as many first time travellers would all go to the same places and therefor give other places a disadvantage.

8. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Have you not used Google Maps lately? It’s business listings are far more comprehensive than Apple Maps. Searches aren’t limited to participating businesses like Apple’s dependence on Yelp, for example. In fact, Google Maps has details no other database offers, such as peak business hours (crowds).

I rather be preinformed about a business or destination rather than risk dissapointment. And you can use a business’ reviews and popularity to guage if it’s an over-visited place to avoid.

9. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

LOL, you’re equating E911 tracking to Google tracking. Boy are you naive. Virtually every app on the device is in there to mine/steal your personal info or $$. There are very few, of any, benign apps anymore.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Yeah, thanks to Google *"spying" on you.

*Tracking you wherever you go.

11. Defthand macrumors 6502a

It’s not spying if they disclosed their tracking activities beforehand and you agree to it.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2018 ---
    Google is still relying on the same technology to determine your whereabouts. I’m quite aware that Google’s purpose is not the same as the cell service’s. I’m also aware that Google is monetizing my habits in exchange for the services they provide—services that improve the utility of a smartphone and justify the cost.

12. BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Meanwhile the whole subdivision where we live is not on apple maps, lots of wrong stuff also. I might as well run Bonzi Buddy as apple maps, both do nothing other than annoy you.

That pretty makes the argument of google using my data to tailor ads to me moot....at least google maps is useful. Don’t even get me started on carplay.

13. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Guess you missed this bit in my post " *Tracking you wherever you go."

Wrong
    Your Provider relies on data provided by their cell towers, they triangulate your position which isn't perfectly accurate.
    Your provider has no access to your GPS, that is, as long as you don't want them to, as in.. installing the providers app and give your permission to do so.

14. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Thanks to me, this conversation has derailed into an off-topic discussion of the hardware’s abilities, when my intent was to illustrate that the objection to Google’s tracking activities is myopic if you use a smartphone at all. Many iPhone users wrongly assume that their privacy is in tact as long as they avoid Google’s services. When, in fact, virtually every free app uses data mining as its business model. The New York Times discovered that a popular iOS weather app was selling tracking information to forty companies.

It’s also counterintuitive to distrust technology companies while owning a device that uses biometrics that map your fingerprint(s) and face, especially since no laws exist to guarantee their protection. Sure, Apple says the process is bulletproof, but we’ve heard similar assurances about other hacked safeguards.

Ultimately, technologists are not the solution to the problems that their products created. Only laws will protect us from abusers.

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

You are correct, I was too, providers don't have access to your GPS location as long as you don't install their apps and agree to share that location.