Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I didn't say they agreed. And if it was the other way: Google wanting something from Apple for their Android platform, would you imply Apple was so wrong for asking something for it?

Google has a competing platform. They wanted to roll out their best innovations for their own platform first. Sound familiar? Again, I'll point you to Safari for Windows. Is that as up-to-date as Safari for Mac? Well why not?

Were I have said that any of them did wrong, I have only said that it was just a case of two companies not agreeing in something.

And you're still wrong, Google didn't wanted to keep something for Android

----------

Like NSA linking to googles data centers.

And what has to do Google with the ilegal NSA snooping OUTSIDE the data centers?

Moving user information without encryption

Like all the companies, in fact, Google was one of the first to encrypt ALL the data.

Tracking for advertising purposes

And what has of shady or unethical that. Or are you saying that Apple is shady because they track their users for iAds?

Heck, even the founder of Wiki leaks thinks that Google isn't what they seem to be

And what thinks about Google Assange? Tell us

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

In the universe where I live, there's this thing called history. Here's just one, third-party report of it: http://www.mstarz.com/articles/5257...-date-why-apple-maps-replaced-google-maps.htm There are many other stories from that point in time that say the same thing. Perhaps things (history?) are different where you are?

Android had "new" turn by turn spoken directions. Apple wanted it.

You are correct that Google didn't want to "keep" that something exclusively for Android but that they already had it for Android (so it was exclusive in that time). Apple wanted it for iOS too but needed to renegotiate the Maps contract and didn't want to give Google some of what it wanted in those negotiations. If the historical reports of what Google wanted are to be believed, those wants don't look that onerous to me. In fact, if you use the Google Maps app now, it's pretty much reflective of what they wanted then (of course, we can't know if the financial requirement spiked, as that has not been disclosed).

Your fellow Apple fans aggressively downloaded Google Maps as soon as it was available in the store again, making it #1 for some time... deservedly so IMO as, for me anyway, it continues to do the superior job of getting me to the places I'm trying to go because it seems to have superior underlying data and search term processing (again, see my earlier example about Reagan Airport as just one easy example you can replicate yourself).

I know "we" fans have to hate Google now because they are an Apple competitor with Android. So naturally, anything they do has to be bad and anything Apple does has to be good. Thread after thread fills with spite for Android and gushing praise for iOS regardless of truth or irrefutable examples when the bad has something implemented better than the good. Nevertheless, I bet the authors of so many of those pro-Apple-on-everything posts have- and use- Google Maps on their iDevices. Some of them may even hate it solely because it's made by Google, but I bet most of them know (though they'll never admit it) that it continues to be the superior mapping app vs. Apple Maps. It didn't get to be #1 for so long because all Apple people everywhere universally hate it and/or find it inferior.

Last edited:

awwfishsticks

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Apple v Google.

Apple is a hardware and software company. Google is purely software. Apple could (if it really wanted to) get help from other companies to get its maps up to speed with googles. Just like adding Shazam functionality to siri. Apple's method is to build a solid platform on which developers can develop. Google decides to do it all on its own. There's the difference. It's not like apple's maps is behind so much as build with a different intention. I use Apple maps for navigation, pretty much because I can figure out the weather from looking at the sky, and I can use yelp whenever I need to find a specific restaurant. Simple as that. For now I use maps for its primary purpose: getting to places. Apple Maps is a mapping an navigation app, not yelp and weather.. People aren't looking at the big picture here.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Here's what you said...

I posted an objective link to some historical reporting that laid out that Google Maps for Android had one thing Apple wanted in Apple Maps (by Google). It was an effort to address being called "wrong", not with an opinion but with something objective that you- or anyone else- could go see for yourself.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Here's what you said...

I posted an objective link to some historical reporting that laid out that Google Maps for Android had one thing Apple wanted in Apple Maps (by Google). It was an effort to address being called "wrong", not with an opinion but with something objective that you- or anyone else- could go see for yourself.

An article commenting on another article from another site without any link or quote is not objective link to some historical reporting in my universe

And not agreeing is not the same that keeping something without any interest on developing for another platform like you said. This is the claim I said that was wrong, nothing more.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
An article commenting on another article from another site without any link or quote is not objective link to some historical reporting in my universe

Do a search for "why did Apple replace Google Maps on iOS?" and similar. There's TONS of articles that will generally say the same thing. So if you want to fault that one, just move on to the next one... or the one after that... or the one after that. I thought that was common knowledge but I've been around here a long time and notice how some here will sometimes adapt history to fit the pro-Apple points "we" want to make.

I don't know how to read...

Google didn't wanted to keep something for Android

vs. what you'll find in those articles. Google had something NEW for Android that Apple wanted. They didn't want to just give it to Apple for nothing. So they wanted to "keep" it for Android UNLESS Apple wanted to barter for some other things Google wanted in a new version. Perhaps how we are each thinking about "keep" is different?

Apple didn't want to give Google what they wanted for that feature, so keeping it for Android is what played out. Then, some time later, Google Maps launched in the Apple App store and we consumers got the feature in exchange for what is publicly known that Google wanted from Apple anyway.

In any event, I feel like we're beating a dead horse here. I'm personally very happy that Google Maps made it back into the iOS store and I personally still think it's the better mapping app due to my perception of much better underlying data and better search term processing algorithms. If I had to bet big on either getting me to a place I don't know, I'd wager on Google over Apple. That said, I hope Apple works harder to address those issues, as it would be so nice if the integrated option worked at least as well as the third party option.

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
Apple is a hardware and software company. Google is purely software. Apple could (if it really wanted to) get help from other companies to get its maps up to speed with googles. Just like adding Shazam functionality to siri. Apple's method is to build a solid platform on which developers can develop. Google decides to do it all on its own. There's the difference. It's not like apple's maps is behind so much as build with a different intention. I use Apple maps for navigation, pretty much because I can figure out the weather from looking at the sky, and I can use yelp whenever I need to find a specific restaurant. Simple as that. For now I use maps for its primary purpose: getting to places. Apple Maps is a mapping an navigation app, not yelp and weather.. People aren't looking at the big picture here.

You can look to the sky in the morning and know the weather in the afternoon huh? Or know it 60 miles away? Funny thing is, in 2 years when Apple finally adds these features, you'll be fawning over them, calling them innovative, and "yes the same, but done better". LOL, you silly apologist.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I tried the updated Google on my iPhone. It appears that Google is leveraging some assets seen in its acquisition and reimagining of Zagats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.