Google Maps for iOS Gains Restaurant Wait Times, Improved Transit Directions and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google Maps for iOS was today updated to version 4.47, introducing new and improved features.

When searching for a restaurant using Google Maps, you can now see wait times at more than a million restaurants around the world that will let you know just how long you can expect to wait before being seated.

[​IMG]

Google says the update also introduces the ability to sort and search through reviews of a restaurant, store, or other business, so you can find specific information that you're looking for, and it includes more robust transit directions.

The new transit directions feature in Google Maps is designed to let you know which transit entrance you need to go to, and it is available in New York, Hong Kong, Taipei, Paris, Los Angeles, Delhi, Moscow, Singapore, Madrid, Barcelona, Kiev, and Budapest.
    Google Maps can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Gains Restaurant Wait Times, Improved Transit Directions and More

2. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Like Siri, Apple Maps continues to fall further and further behind the competition.

3. Regime2008 macrumors 6502a

Regime2008

Another reason why I feel that Google is innovative, and apple just sits by the wayside. There's no way I would believe Siri and apple maps would fall sooo far behind a couple of years ago.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am a little concerned that Apple's addiction to fat margins is bringing in a culture of complacency.

5. bernuli macrumors 6502

Google maps, oh how I want you back as default.

Some apps don't even allow copy and paste so I have to let Apple maps launch and then copy and paste from there. Really compounds the annoying!

6. Unity451 macrumors newbie

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy... I still think Apple does pretty well driving innovation (pretty sure I just saw an article about how their facial recognition tech is 2 years ahead of everyone else). True they don't have a billion different divisions and teams like google does, but being the best at EVERYTHING has never really been their approach anyways.
    At this stage in the game, it's hard to focus on innovating new technologies and keeping up with the Jones' on the old ones all while keeping your labor force lean.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

You might want to read that article. It doesn't say that Apple's lead is due to innovation. It implies Apple's lead is due to monopolizing the component supply chain. You are right that Apple still innovates. You're choice of an example just wasn't the best one.

They don't have to be the best at everything. There is however an expectation that they will make their released products better. They're more successful at doing that with some products while others seemingly languish.

8. rgeneral macrumors member

While I admit google maps has more feature, I still found the Apple interface to be easier to use. Furthermore it is easy to read while I am following the road. I wish I can combine the two. Lol.

9. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Google maps is getting more and more features and there’s no way of remembering what it can do ....

10. saudade macrumors regular

saudade

I never wait more than 2 minutes in 5 guys so i wont use thiz 2 much imo

11. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

Google Maps is our go to for home and on vacation. It’s just better.

12. JLL macrumors regular

You mean the transit feature that Apple Maps has had for a long time?

13. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Apple Maps has had it for a long time, but most of the world certainly hasn’t.

14. Delgibbons macrumors 6502

Delgibbons

Restaurant wait times. . genius :D

I use Google and waze on android all the time. Walk past a tube station in London, I get the times of the next tube appearing as a notification.

It's blade runner in real life :D

15. MecPro macrumors 6502

I’ve just come back from Japan and Google Maps was a life saver.

Unfortunately Apple maps couldn’t find a lot of the restaurants, roads, etc and I ended up just disabling the mobile data for the app as it was literally worthless.

Google Maps told me a lot about the restaurant and even detailed when I needed to go up stairs or down in escalators, etx

16. TheMacDaddy1 macrumors regular

This! Google maps and even Apples maps add more and more features and honestly I never use them unless they are automatic or in my face.

I will be the first to admit that Google maps is better overall, however Apple maps is good enough that is what I use as my default. I have Google maps installed and when out of town I will use it on a rare occasion to double check that Apple Maps is correct. Two years ago I hid Apple maps and only used Google maps.

It is a individual preference really. I don't use or even have much public transit in my home area so any feature related to that for either app is not used by me. I have used offline maps one time with Google maps when hiking in the smoky mountains. It was a cool feature because I could see the trails and did not have a cell connection most of the times. That was least year during spring break and I have not used it since. That is one feature I wish Apple Maps had....or maybe it does have it??
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2018 ---
    I agree I do like the interface much better. It is just simpler to read. Little features like when driving at night it will dim the screen when not needed (long stretch before you next turn/exit) and then light up when you get close to the next turn or exit.

17. aloshka macrumors 65816

I know it’s individual preference but I gave up on apple maps. I feel like it got worse (read “I feel”) over the last few months. I don’t need maps often but I need to trust directions when I get them and I simply can’t do that with maps after a handful of incorrect locations-some being more than 10 miles off) or not being able to search for destinations unless you know their exact names.

I do wish, Apple allowed car play to use Google maps.