Google Maps for iOS Updated With 'Match' Customized Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google Maps was today updated with a new "Match" feature that's designed to offer up personalized restaurant recommendations based on a user's customized tastes.

The Match option allows users to tap on a food or drink spot to see if they're likely to enjoy a new spot based on past restaurant visiting history. The update also includes a list of how many restaurants have been visited in the Explore tabs trending feature.

[​IMG]
    Google's Match feature was first outlined in May at Google I/O, and it rolled out for Android users in June before expanding to iOS users today.

Recommendations will take into account food and drink preferences selected in Google Maps, places you've been to, and places you've rated or added to a list. Scores for restaurants will get smarter over time with usage.

Google Maps can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Updated With 'Match' Customized Restaurant Recommendations

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

They recommendations have been pretty decent in testing.

3. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

Just more Google collecting info on us down to what we eat.....no thanks. :thumbs down:

4. redgreenski macrumors regular

Exactly. I de-googled my iPhone long time ago.

5. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Yeah. The recommendations have been pretty decent and surprisingly diverse. Helps when the wife and I want to eat different things. We end up with her recommendations, but hey.

6. now i see it macrumors 68030

Google, what do I want to eat?
    Google, where am I?
    Google, who am I?

7. fairuz, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

And yet I still can't navigate to my fourth most recent destination in the mobile app.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2018 ---
    It might just be the basic recommendation algo Netflix and many others use: Look at what you went to, find people who went to the same places, and recommend things to you that those people also went to. With some buckets for location. That one is simple and works great.

They don't need to collect or store any identifying info for that, nor do you have to give them the identifying info in the first place (if you use a fake name on your Google account like you definitely should).

8. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

9. jdsingle macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. I've been slowly de-Googling my life. Happy to see Apple maps is improving.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I want my Maps apps to just show me maps and how to get to where I want to go.

When I'm looking for restaurants, I use Yelp or Opentable.

11. linkmaster02 macrumors member

When I'm looking for food, I always search "food" or "restaurant" or "lunch" in Google Maps, so this is helpful for people like me that don't use apps like Yelp or Opentable.

12. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

More data-mining from Google. No thanks. They can go screw themselves.

13. redgreenski macrumors regular

They don't have to but from business perspective it would be absolute unreasonable for them not to.

14. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

If that's the case (not sure, check the EULA), they're already collecting the data, with or without the recommendation system.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2018 ---
    But Yelp is awful, both the UI and the system.

15. redgreenski macrumors regular

They are not collecting my data. I don’t use gmail, google search, Android, google docs, google drive. I also block google scrips in my browser and no I don’t use chrome. I also use native apps made by apple and any non native apps I carefully read their terms and conditions to make sure nothing gets shared with google or Facebook.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't find that to be the case, but you're welcome to have that opinion if you wish.

17. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

So you don't use Google Maps, same here. That's beside the point. I was replying to
    > Just more Google collecting info
    Point was the implementation of this recommendation system doesn't indicate that they're collecting any more info than they were before.