Google Maps Functionality on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScoobyDoofus, May 27, 2008.

1. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

Hope I'm not duplicating anything, I did search but the phrase "google maps iphone" didn't exactly narrow down the results very much!

I'm holding out for the 3G iPhone (and praying they release it in Ireland at the same time as the rest of the world - we only got the first version in March!), but I have a quick question about the Maps app.

I use google maps on my computer all the time, I have several maps in my google account with things like places I've been, favourite restaurants, landmarks, friends' houses - all sorts of things.

I understand it's easy enough to go to a map of an address from a contact, but what about the rest of the stuff? Can I access my google maps from the app, or am I going to have to go through the list of stuff and add each one as a placemark?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've seen no way to sync your favorites that you have saved online with the current iPhone. :(

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I believe you'll have to add them all on the iPhone if you don't have them as contacts. I don't think there's a way around it.

4. ScoobyDoofus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I do have the numbers of my favourite restaurants in my contacts, so that's not so bad, I could just add the addresses.

It would just be nice to be able to log in to my google account and have it all there, is all.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You should send the idea to:
    apple.com/feedback

6. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Have you tried going to Google Maps in safari on the iPhone and access your favorites in there? I can't try it right now but I wouldn't be surprised if you could access them there and it would take you to the Maps application.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I don't have to put the addresses into my iPhone as a contact, because my iPhone remembers the addresses. Say I want to go back to the address 2050 Center Street, Berkeley, CA 94720, by the time I press the numbers "20" the entire lists of previously associated addresses that begin with "2-0" are already showing up in a list below the address bar. :cool:

8. neven macrumors 6502a

The original question was about the locations already saved in the user's Google Maps.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to get those into iPhone Maps.

The Maps app is actually not all that similar to Google Maps; I get the feeling that Apple could switch to, say, Yahoo Maps overnight without having to change much in the user interface. What I mean is, no Google-specific features are included.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's a good point.

Web maps and mobile maps are really quite different things. They even use different map databases (I believe web = NavTeq and mobile = TeleAtlas).

10. Emdashes macrumors newbie

I figured it out!

Go to Google Maps in Safari, as bstpierre suggested. (Make sure you're using the classic version, accessible via the little index/list icon in the lower left-hand corner.)

Then go to My Profile. Your saved maps and bookmarked locations from the web will be listed there under Recent Maps, with easily clickable images for each. The interface for seeing the details of your saved locations isn't terrible, either.

But yes, this should all be accessible through the regular iPhone maps feature, I agree. I'm just glad it's not completely lost on the mobile version.