Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced several changes that it is making to the Google Maps platform, including an AI update. Google Maps now provides better at-a-glance information on locations, with the details powered by Google AI.

Google-maps-feaure-purple.jpg

Maps shows photo highlights and reviews that summarize what people like about a location. A restaurant's food items can be identified using AI, and Google Maps will also provide cost, potential availability, and whether or not it caters to dietary restrictions.

Google says that it will now be easier to discover helpful recommendation lists from top sites and the Google Maps community in select cities in the U.S. and Canada. To use the feature, search for a city and swipe to see curated lists of recommendations from people familiar with the city. There are also Trending, Top, and Gems lists that highlight popular locations to visit when traveling. The feature is available in 40 cities this week, with more coming in the future.

To go along with the change to recommendations, Google is adding new customization tools for creating lists in Maps. Google Maps users can choose the order that places appear in their created lists to rank them, and there are options to link content from social channels. Google says that the list updates will be rolling out on Android and iOS later this month.

Finally, Google Maps users can expect to see a refreshed design that includes a cleaner home screen with fewer tabs and new pin colors that make it easier to find places on the map.

Article Link: Google Maps Gains New AI Tools, Updated Recommendation Lists and More

Reactions: decypher44

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
We’ve seen how google “ai” works.
I won’t be surprised when it directs users to the nearest statue, with an AI generated blurb about how racist it is and suggest that you tear it down.
Or when one asks directions for an art museums, the AI adds in a stop at the hardware store to pick up some red paint along the way…

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
"...select [sic.] cities in the U.S. and Canada..."

Well, that's helpful then.

Is your [sic] trying to suggest that "select cities" is not grammatically correct? That's a common phrase in marketing.

Grammar aside, it took a few seconds to find an article on this site about Apple Maps that not only uses the same phrasing, but mentions an Apple Maps feature that rolled out to certain areas before others just like the Google rollout you're mocking:
In early 2020, Apple completed a complete overhaul of its maps in the United States [...]. A new Look Around feature in select cities is similar to Google's Street View, and the updated maps will be rolling out to more countries going forward.

Reactions: Roller

FRVRandAFTR

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Can someone here help me not fell so dumb? Why is Waze so much better than Google for traffic rerouting (and the extra perks like police alerts and road obstacles) when they’re owned by Google and Maps is their flagship preinstalled default? Also, Apple Maps advertises traffic rerouting based on road closures and delays but neither hold a candle to Waze in my experience. Am I missing something?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have not used native Google Maps in quite some time. It’s either Waze (I know it’s Google) or Apple Maps.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I have not used native Google Maps in quite some time. It’s either Waze (I know it’s Google) or Apple Maps.
That's just you. Google Maps is far and away the most popular navigation app, study finds.
Quote:

The study found that 70% of people use Google Maps, in part to help detect and avoid speed traps. Waze, which is also owned by Google, came in second with a 27% usage rate. Apple Maps came in third, just behind Waze, with 25% of respondents saying they use Apple's navigation app.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Is your [sic] trying to suggest that "select cities" is not grammatically correct? That's a common phrase in marketing.

Grammar aside, it took a few seconds to find an article on this site about Apple Maps that not only uses the same phrasing, but mentions an Apple Maps feature that rolled out to certain areas before others just like the Google rollout you're mocking:
Exactly. And “sic” is generally placed in parentheses, not square brackets, nor does it require a period.

But getting back to the subject at hand, I use Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze. I often find the directions provided by Apple Maps best, though how well each app works is highly dependent on location. Still, I’m pleased to see all three continue to improve.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Can someone here help me not fell so dumb? Why is Waze so much better than Google for traffic rerouting (and the extra perks like police alerts and road obstacles) when they’re owned by Google and Maps is their flagship preinstalled default? Also, Apple Maps advertises traffic rerouting based on road closures and delays but neither hold a candle to Waze in my experience. Am I missing something?

That was basically what Waze was built to do. Provide user alerts for traffic, hazards, cops, etc. and help you get around them. Google integrated Waze into Maps when they bought it, but I doubt Waze overrides GMaps built in routing.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022

See https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/select_2. The way you said Apple Maps uses it is wrong too, regardless of whether it's a common phrase "in marketing".

My main point was about the fact that most people in the word don't live in certain cities in the US or Canada, but the overriding point was that I don't like Google for reasons which are bigger than their use of grammar.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Apple Maps has always done fine for me.
That's exactly my point. It does what it's supposed to do but in no way is it the killer app that Google Maps is. Maybe GM came first and everything else seems like a cheap imitation but I can't ween myself away from GM. My only complaint about GM is the inability to export and import saved places

Reactions: arkitect

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Exactly. And “sic” is generally placed in parentheses, not square brackets, nor does it require a period.

But getting back to the subject at hand, I use Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze. I often find the directions provided by Apple Maps best, though how well each app works is highly dependent on location. Still, I’m pleased to see all three continue to improve.
Actually, it should be in italics too....

For goodness sake..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.