Google maps GPS

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nateo200, Jun 21, 2009.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ok so I was on my way to a friends graduation party and I didn't know where he lived so I google maps it. On the way I noticed a blue bubble like icon moving down the road I was on! I was so perplexed I never saw this feature tell the 3.0 update it's very nice but how does it work? Is it just a compass? It's still very useful

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's been there in 2.0 It's a GPS fix of the phone's location. Only the iPhone 3GS has the compass function in Google Maps (you hit the crosshair locate me suymbol in the lower left hand side twice).

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

But I have an iPod touch 2nd gen....plus I was moving.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

It's using the WiFi networks around you to locate you. This feature has always been in the iPod Touch.

5. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Really? But they were all secured not to mention I was moving....so it just jumps back and worth between secured routers?! That's a bit amazing...can anyone else confirm this? Also at no point did it ever say I was connected

6. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

I noticed this on my 1st gen right when I got it with 1.1.5 firmware.

I though that was strange too, and had no Idea how it worked since all the networks around me were secure too. Mabey since there are wifi networks everywhere, it tracks the location of where it is picking them up, and updates.. but then idk how it picks up the location if it is not connected to an outside source. you'll have to find an experienced person who knows how this works.

7. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Yeah but how could it update it without any access to information on the internet?

The iphone updates location without network signal, the latitude and longitude of your location get updated (possibly by triangulating with non-att towers?) and you can tell its moving, just not loading any new map data.....

8. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well my thought is if this is true then the router must be giving just enough info for the iPod to figure out where it is but not enough for internet (so maybe just it's IP Address). Interesting I'm still waiting for a full explanation.

9. thefatmould macrumors member

It uses the preloaded map data and an opensource database of wifi networks provided by http://skyhookwireless.com to work out your position by the signal strength of visible wifi networks.

10. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow! That's very ineteresting thanks! Just curious can the iPhone do this if your not on the 3G/EDGE network?

11. kylemg macrumors newbie

The 2G iPhone does the same thing. I just realized it after the 3.0 update as well. It's alot more accurate than using the tower triangulation method. I might leave wi-fi on now while I drive.

12. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I figured tower triangulation would be allot less accurate given the spacing between towers. It's a great little feature though.

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Additionally, the iPhone 3G (and later) has a true GPS receiver built in, so provided it has line-of-sight with enough GPS satellites, it can get a fix on your location even in the absence of WiFi signals. (And using GPS, is it would get a better fix than it would using WiFi or cell towers alone anways.)

Note that the iPhone's GPS receiver is optimized for A-GPS (Assisted GPS) where it uses the cell towers to obtain information about which satellites should be nearby at any given time, thereby speeding up the time it takes to get its initial location fix. In the absence of cell towers, the GPS receiver is still capable of operating standalone, but it would take several minutes to a half an hour to obtain an initial fix, rather than a few seconds.

By the way, even in secured WiFi connections, the MAC addresses are always transmitted without encryption. All the Skyhook database needs is the MAC addresses and relative signal strenghs, nothing else, so WiFi location services can function even if you don't have passwords for any of the nearby networks.

14. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow thanks! I just wish there was a way I could cache all the data of my area permantly on my iPod, then I could really use the google maps on here.

15. KrazyKuul macrumors regular