Google Maps How To

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bobnlyne, Feb 26, 2013.

1. bobnlyne macrumors member

I've looked about every place I can think of, and maybe I'm just blind, but I can't find how to save a destination with a name in Google Maps,

Can it be done, and if so, how?

TIA!
    B

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you mean naming 512 Mulberry Lane "Will & Marge's" then no, I don't think you can.

Are you jailbroken?

3. bobnlyne thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess I'm still thinking GPS.

No, I'm not jailbroken. Barely housebroken. :p

Thx,
    B

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

Exiled from Apple at one point, now Google Maps has limited functionality per Apple. On earlier iPhones that had Google maps integrated, lots more functionality was present.

5. Cobra611 macrumors regular

Cobra611

Dang...I was pulling my hair out as well, trying to figure out how to save destinations with an actual name. Thanks for the heads up.

6. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Until they add access to contacts on your phone, even Google does not allow this on their maps...their own issue, not Apple's.

They only allow work and home to transition from web to phone...I think this is true for Android as well?

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There are jailbreak tweaks to make Google Maps more of the default map app. "MapsOpener" makes map links open in Google Maps. "AssistantLove" can make Siri use Google Maps (or several other apps).

8. FotoDirk macrumors member

The first time around Google maps asked to sign in with a Google account. I refused it as Google was not going to know too much from me.
    But I guess you need that login for some features to work.

So I guess you have to login now, then you can store locations that are put in the Google-cloud. You will see them as well when you sign-in on a computer.

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

It only stores the two locations...but it does save recent searches which is awesome. I just have to look up and confirm any places I might visit in a day on any device i am signed into and know they will pop up when I open Google Maps on my iPhone.

10. bobnlyne thread starter macrumors member

With all that brainpower at their disposal, I doubt this would be a tough nut to crack for Google. How can we encourage them to try harder?

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Google Maps was updated today and is supposed to integrate Google contacts in some way, but it doesn't look or behave any differently for me. I tried logging out and then back in.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I took a very quick look myself and didn't see a way to do this either.

13. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

1. You can rename saved locations via Google Bookmarks.

Open https://www.google.com/bookmarks/ via desktop or mobile, and you'll see a list of your saved or "starred" locations. You can edit their names. I've bookmarked Google Bookmarks (talk about Inception), and do this regularly. It's a few extra steps, but it works.

2. Google Contacts can be searched, with today's new version, from the search bar. There's not an "Address Book" interface or anything like that.

14. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Not working for Google Apps users, free or paid.

15. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Google Maps is a tremendous app and a free service. Signing in and giving Google Access to my account (which they already have access to) is not a big deal to me. Small price to pay for such a service.

Compared to Waze...who uses your location to send you ads during traffic stops...