Google Maps Inacurrate after 3.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DC Hurricane, Aug 5, 2009.

1. DC Hurricane macrumors member

I just noticed this after I upgraded to the new software 3.0.1 so I'm assuming it's the reason my google maps is so inaccurate. Before I would be pretty accurate when I used the locate feature and it would follow me with the blue dot etc. Now when I click the locate button it gives me a ridiculous radius of where it thinks I can be and when maybe if it decides to get a smaller circle the blue dot takes forever to update. Like every 5 seconds it'll jump and even then it'll still show me kinda driving off the road into the woods somewhere. I was wondering if anybody else was having this problem after the update, and if it's software or hardware because clearly my google maps worked before.

2. sesnir macrumors 6502

There's one of these threads after every update. It probably has nothing to do with your phone.

3. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Mine wasn't working before the 3.0.1 update and isn't working after the 3.0.1 update. If I turn on Wifi, it works. It just doesn't work with Wifi off.

4. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean that people often have problem with google maps after an update or just any general problem?

5. megadon macrumors 6502

mine is sketchy too..

it thinks im like 10 blocks away..

6. trssho macrumors 6502

I too am having a major issue with my gps. I assumed it's related to jailbreak, but really not sure. I have a post in the hackers forum with no clue yet.

7. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

My phone is not jail broken.

For those who have problems, try turning on wifi. Does that fix it for you guys?

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The only thing I can recommend is to reset your GPS:

1) reboot your iPhone and don't launch any apps
    2) Reset network settings (settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings)
    3) go outside to where you are in clear view of the sky, and there are no obstructions or magnetic fields nearby.
    4) operate Maps(.app) and locate yourself. Allow up to 5 minutes for application to settle your location.

GPS is reset :)

That should clear any problems with innacuracies.

9. megadon macrumors 6502

I've been on 3g the whole time, and it just happened after the upgrade..

I"m sure it will go back to normal in while..

I turned off and back on, same issue..

10. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

11. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I HATE Google Maps on the 3GS when heading up. When it tries to use the Compass when using my Windshield Mount to guess which way you're heading, it goes crazy. It don't have a CLUE. At least on G-Map, it knows where you're heading. You would think that Apple would know the Compass don't work too well in a metal car. Oh, I forgot, that's even in my wife's ION which is a lot of fiberglass.

12. megadon macrumors 6502

I just reset my network settings and everything is fine now
    gps works perfectly

13. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info regrading resetting network settings. My GPS is actually useful now.. Before it took 5 min to get a lock, now a few seconds. :)

14. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Resetting the network or the instructions set forth by ct2k7 did not work for me. Going to the genius bar and getting the phone exchange did. :D

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, congrats on the replacement iPhone. Mine seems to mess up only in San Francisco, CA. I'm giving it until Friday, then I'm stopping by the Stockton Street MOTHERSHIP Apple Store in San Francisco.....:eek:

Mine was messing up before the 3.0.1 update.

16. akurain macrumors newbie

My Iphone 3GS google maps was working perfectly before the 3.01 update, now it's showing my currently location across the sea "3kms apart", i tried turning off the phone, reset network and nothing worked.

Funny if i use wireless for google map it located my currently location correctly though. It's stupid that Apple didn't release any fix for this.

17. Odid macrumors regular

^Have you tried restoring it?

I don't have a problem with it. There's always one of these threads after an update "is (insert here) stupider after X.X.X update??". No. it's just you.

18. btiPhone macrumors newbie

3.0.1 issues

I ran into the same issue with my GPS after 3.0.1... took me a while to realize when the problem started and it hit me that it was after I loaded 3.0.1....

My 3G 16GB iphone is JB and the GPS was working great with maps and Navigon. After 3.0.1 started getting super flaky - would lock on to GPS (pulsing blue dot on maps) but then would lose it. I tried resetting the network settings but no dice... restored (wiped - took 2 hours) still had the same issues. Then I decided to try 3.0 to make sure it wasn't my hardware. With 3.0 works great... picks up the GPS signal even in super foggy SF within 10 sec with maps and Navigon..

My brother's 3GS runs great with 3.0.1 and is also JB and has no issues with his GPS.

I'll stay on 3.0 for now until the next release with hopes that the bug gets fixed for the 3G and GPS.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just did my update

been holding off on doing 3.0.1 I just did a clean install of it and adding my apps back on as we speak. I also JB it again so we will see how that all goes. and I will report back latter how the GPS worked

20. Berek macrumors member

Berek

THIS. Worked!!!

I demand god status be granted to this individual.

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

Bleh.

A reboot plus #3 and #4 is the likely "fix". Or maybe just #3 and #4.

22. crazymexx macrumors member

crazymexx

either you dont have good signal when you use maps.

or

usually apple/google/att are doing system updates on the maps/servers where your information comes from and thats why its off.

When 3.1 comes out it will be more accurate.

23. phantom5251 macrumors 6502

phantom5251

So like everyone else I have been experiencing the same troubles with my GPS signal. I heard somebody say that if an app gets updated directly on the phone, that can cause this. I did the Erase All Content and Settings on my Phone last night, and then restored it as a new phone via iTunes. Lo and behold GPS works fine. Then today I had to update an app, and now it doesn't work again. Is it pretty recommended at this point that I just have the Apple Store check it out and hopefully they'll replace it? Really don't want to have to keep restoring it. Has anyone else had success? Thanks all!

24. jsook724 macrumors regular