Google Maps Locate Me, No Data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by molson2k, Jul 29, 2009.

1. molson2k macrumors member

Hi, I'm currently using an unlocked first generation iPhone that has been upgraded to version 3.0. As the title states obviously, I've disabled data on my iPhone by changing the APN to random characters, so I don't connect to data via cell towers.

My question is every other app like Safari, Weather, Stocks that uses data will always say "No internet connection" or something along that line. But when I open up the Maps app, it is able to locate me and I'm able to input search locations. I check the data usage in settings and it says I have 0 bytes sent/received. So does anyone know exactly what's going on here with Maps?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because you need data to get the maps. GPS works on its own radio. So, it can "see" you, but you won't have the maps to do anything as long as you use Google Maps. You can use a third party app, however, that loads all the maps on the iPhone, and then you can use the GPS to do stuff.