Google maps locate

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xhArRiSoNxD, Aug 6, 2008.

1. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

For some reason this is not working for me, I tried it on my connection and my neighbors anyone know why?

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Yes. The service that Google maps uses has not driven down your street to map the GPS locations of all the wifi nodes it could find. I believe it is Skyhook, or something like that. If you know their web site you can add your wifi's mac address to theri database, and with luck they will eventually add it to their service so you can at least get locate to work near your house.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It only works if Google knows about your AP. Mine works because my AP has been there for like 5 years.

4. Master Debater macrumors member

Actually the GPS you are talking about only pertains to the iPhone. Since this is in the iPod touch forum, I'd think he'd have an iPod touch, which uses nearby Wi-Fi signals to get your location. Does it give you an error message that says something like "could not find your location"? If so, there are probably not many strong wi-fi signals that could give your location.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the Skyhook thing is nothing to do with GPS; it's all WiFi based.

6. xhArRiSoNxD thread starter macrumors regular

I can tell you it worked before I got 2.0 and never worked on 2.0 or 2.0.1.
    I remember it working on my connection and I never added a mac address to any database.

7. seeny macrumors regular

for me it's hit and miss, at home some time it locats other time it dosen't

8. xhArRiSoNxD thread starter macrumors regular

I recently just updated the firmware in my router and that could explain why it dosent work for my connection but it still dosent work on my neighbors.

9. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You can go to skyhooks website and add your address to your wifi name.

10. xhArRiSoNxD thread starter macrumors regular

I did but will that really help I never did it before and it worked automatically.

Can someone find a link for me of how the locate feature works? I have looked but only found how it works on the iPhone not ipod touch.

11. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

All the Locate Me Feature does on the iPod is get your external IP and query a database that connects it to a general location and address.