Google Maps' MapsGL kills Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColoArtist, Jul 21, 2012.

1. ColoArtist, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

ColoArtist macrumors regular

Anyone else having problems with Google Maps on their rMBP?

After installing the "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 1.0" on my rMBP, Google Maps locks up every time in Safari. It locks up the entire machine, so I have to reboot to get out of it.

The problem is with the Google beta MapsGL. Everything is okay with it off, but with it on, just going to the main maps.google.com page will lock up the rMBP.

The symptoms are, portions of the map will blink on/off and street names are large and broken up...followed by a complete freeze a few seconds later.

It's a bit tricky to turn MapsGL off once it's turned on because just visiting the page will lock things up. However, it can be turned off manually by simply going to the URL...
    https://maps.google.com/?vector=0

:apple:

Update: I checked and Firefox and Chrome work okay with MapsGL turned on. It's only Safari that seems to be having problems with MapsGL turned on.

2. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Just checked for myself and didn't have any problems that you're describing. Errr...I need to read more thoroughly......I'm just using the regular google maps webpage.

3. ColoArtist thread starter macrumors regular

If you want to check it, go to...
    http://maps.google.com/

...and click on "Experience MapsGL". You might not wanna have anything important running at the time. :roll eyes:

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

MapsGL has screwed up any Mac I have used with it. I experienced exactly the same with my retina before the recent update, and haven't felt the need to try since.

I submitted bug reports to Apple and Google, but I find it's not really worth using in the first place – even on a 50Mb wired connection the maps are painfully slow to load.

5. ColoArtist thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. It works okay on my '09 MBP, and I didn't remember if I had used Google Maps before installing update 1.0.

6. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Hey,

Just experienced this last night. After enabling develop mode and turning on WebGL and loading google maps in safari, I get a beach ball, media continues to play in the background funny enough but the computer becomes unresponsive and continues to beach ball until i power down.

Can't interact with anything and can't force quit, mouse still works but none of the UI components can be interacted with.

I've turned off web gl mode in safari for now but this is indeed unfortunate.

RMBP 16/2.3

7. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Safari pretty much locks up my retina on a daily basis (especially after waking up from sleep).

Always have to reboot. I have a feeling it is Lion that is the issue. It aint stable!

8. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Enabling MapsGL in Safari worked great for me on late 2011 17" MBP. It's much smoother moving around, zooming in and out, and zero issues with map loading performance.

9. leman macrumors 604

10. EightDJ macrumors newbie

I had this problem on the regular Google Maps (no MapsGL enabled) - only happened once though.

I'm finding I'm having a few glitches with the rMBP. Safari seems quite jumpy and unresponsive at times... I imagine there are some bugs that need to be ironed out... waiting for the updates!

Gonna switch to Chrome now and see how that goes.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Mine doesn't lock up, but it doesn't take long to see some artifacts.

12. richlin71 macrumors newbie

I noticed it was slow as molasses on my 15" Retina Macbook Pro. Disabled it.