Google Maps, My Maps, GPS, etc...

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iRabbit, Apr 5, 2011.

1. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I'm driving across country this summer. I'd like to be able to use my iPad for mapping and gps-type features. I'll also have my iPhone 4 with me too.

Ideally, I'd figure out a way to get "my maps" from google into the google map app in the iPad and iPhone... But so far, my research has proven unsuccessful. Google Earth will do it, but it isn't exactly a good gps app, it's a little laggy/buggy and even google doesnt recommend using it via 3G.

I've downloaded mapquest and that got good reviews, but it's an iPhone app... Doesn't make the greatest use of the full screen of iPad.

I'm not interested in the Tom Tom apps for mapping in different regions... The reviews were not exactly stellar, and the apps are expensive.

Any suggestions you can offer would be great...

Thanks!

2. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

3. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for anyone who might be interested, MotionX GPS HD seems pretty darn awesome of the price of $2.99...

4. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

MotionX HD is very good, I like the interface. But it does not have the maps on the device, requires constant cellular data connection. You can pre-cache your route I believe (the iPhone version allows this, anyway) but still not the same as having all the maps on the device. I prefer Mobile Navigon. It's more expensive (though MotionX charges recurring subscription fees whereas Navigon is a one-time purchase) but everything it needs is on the device.

5. anfield11 macrumors 6502

I'm glad you posted this. I have Navigon on my iPhone and find it very good. From what you've posted here that the maps are on the device, does that mean I'm not using cellular data when I use it? I know you kind of said that! :)

I have a trip to Italy coming up and you know the pain of roaming data!!!! :(

6. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

7. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Yep, Navigon will work with no cellular data. I've heard people argue that it will not but it always has for me. Obviously you won't get live traffic data or Google POI Search, and it won't be able to tell you nearby parking spots and the current temperature at the destination...but the maps and routing work perfectly. I've used it many, many times in very remote rural areas where I have no service without a hitch.

8. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Great! Thanks for that