Google Maps - No Option to "Start" Turn-by-Turn Navigation? (Only preview)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by usnapacker10, Dec 16, 2012.

1. usnapacker10, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

It's not available everywhere. Their website lists available countries, and while Guam is not considered a "country" per SE, I imagine it would have been listed separately...and it isn't.

----------

Navigation (Beta) Availability
    Google Maps Navigation (Beta) requires at least Apple iOS 5.1+. Google Maps Navigation is available in the following countries:

Algeria
    Andorra
    Argentina
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Hong Kong
    Hungary
    Iceland
    India
    Ireland
    Italy
    Japan
    Jordan
    Kuwait
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Romania
    Russia**
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    South Africa
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Ukraine
    United Kingdom
    United States
    We're working on bringing the Navigation feature to as many locales as possible; please check back here to see if Navigation becomes available for your country.

**Only available for certain regions

-->

3. roblawton macrumors 6502

I noticed this last night when I created a walking route. Only the preview was available.

When I choose to drive the route, I can go turn-by-turn!

4. Cafesitter macrumors newbie

Same issuein Slovakia

Which is one of the countries where it shoud work - I dont see many posts though so I wonder if there is something wrong with my set up. anyone else having this issue?

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The button says "Preview" for me as well (in New York) but when I tap it, the turn-by-turn starts and works normally.

6. moldi macrumors newbie

Same here

I'm experiencing the same thing - only "Preview" button, no "Start" :(

I'm in one of the supported countries and still no go.

Anyone found a solution yet?

Thanks

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Does it have anything to do with the cell signal?

The app on my wifi only iPad only shows preview as well but my iPhone works perfectly.

8. moldi macrumors newbie

I've tried it on cell signal with my iPhone 5 and still "preview" only.

9. Planins macrumors member

Planins

So I'm from Bulgaria and I only have Preview option too. (Bulgaria is listed as supported). I have an iPhone 4 and my girlfriend has a 4S and it is the same on both, on Wifi and on Cellular. I'm really disappointed from Google's maps and while Apple Maps aren't nearly as good I'll have to stick with them for turn-by-turn (by the way not supported on the 4). I have to admit though that the NAVIGON Europe app works great and has much much more POI in my city than any other mapping solution. But I'd really like to make use of the Google maps app because when it comes to finding a POI fast and easily it has no competition. So please, someone tell me why does this Preview only thing keep happening.

10. Kamingusu macrumors newbie

I'm getting the same problem in South Africa. When we traveled to Upington the start function turned into preview and turn by turn navigation stopped. We have no access while driving in Namibia.

11. gmarshnyc macrumors newbie

Has anyone found a solution. I get preview and I have signal and I've tried it in wifi and still see preview. Unlike the fellow in NYC when I hit preview it doesn't navigate as it usually does. It'll give me directions but I have to manually move to each step. What's the deal with that. Does anyone knew?

12. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I was messing around with this the other day. I can always get it to work turn by turn if the start location is "My Location".

13. bp1000 macrumors 65816

If this was Apple Maps there would be a witch hunt.

:apple:

14. slsanity macrumors newbie

To anyone who runs across this thread, I discovered the cause and solution to this issue in some cases.

When you search for a location using google.com or the google app, then tap the directions button, the start and end points are passed to the google maps app. When you select the route and only see the preview option, it's because google.com/app passed a starting set of coordinates to the maps app, so your asking google maps to provide directions between two points, not your current location to a point. Thus no turn-by-turn. Simply tap into the start field and select current location, bam.

15. fafrost macrumors newbie

Thank you for this solution. It has solved everything.

16. rjgerard99 macrumors newbie

I tried the suggestion of using my location. Not only did that not work, I don't even have the preview tab that I can click on. It works fine on my iPhone. What's going on with my iPad?