Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adondeeres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Does anyone know how to reset/clear/delete/restore the google maps cache? I'm not sure if my maps app is corrupt. If I start to zoom in or move the map around quickly and cause a 'lot' of data to be downloaded at a time, it will go into a sort of freeze mode where the gray squares will not go away and the spinning wheel in the status bar doesn't stop. When this happens, I've tried leaving it alone for 5-10 minutes and upon turning it back on, the gray squares are still there. If I move it around very slowly, then all of this is less likely to occur, but will eventually occur. If I quit the mail app, reopen it, the gray squares are gone and that area of the map I had been looking at previously has been downloaded successfully. I've tried restarting multiple times to no avail. It just started 2-3 days ago around the time I updated Angry Birds. I don't even update apps that frequently, so nothing else to blame, really.

adondeeres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I'd try a restore.

I feel I will likely need to restore at some point, but I need to make sure I know how to jailbreak and unlock correctly since I don't have ATT service and this is the only phone I have access to, period.

In the meantime, I would like to hang on as long as possible...shouldn't there be a file I can access via SSH? I've tried deleting the MapTiles files, but that didn't help. Running the program just recreated the file. Can anyone think of any other file?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I wouldnt go around deleting files thru ssh cause that might cause alot more problems and mess up your iphone even more.
What kind of iphone do you have, firmware version, baseband etc...
You could upgrade/restore to 4.2.1 while maintaining your unlockable baseband.

adondeeres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Also, last I checked, 4.2.1 was tethered. I've saved my SHSH from 4.0 up til 4.2.1. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I've read so many guides online and have had a really hard time trying to make sense of everything. Also, don't I need something called custom firmware to keep my baseband?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You can find and download online a custom 4.2.1 ipsw created with pwnage and then use windows redsnow to put your iphone in "Pwned" DFU mode.
Then you can fire up itunes and install the custom JB 4.2.1 firmware.

..d..ecay

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Same here...

Same problem for me starting this afternoon. So not unique to your phone...

Agreed, I started having problems with Maps around the same date, maybe Tuesday (02/22/11), even. Last week, the maps app worked fine. This week, it never stops drawing - it keeps pulling down data, filling in blocks, then showing them as grey squares. It used to pull down all the data in 30-45 seconds. What happened to Maps???

adondeeres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Accessing google maps on safari or atomic web browser doesn't seem to be affected, but zooming and search features seem to be quirky and not as smooth as with the actual maps app.

ira42

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
No need to restore, this has nothing to do with your device.

As of Feb 1, 2011, Google has discontinued the old Maps Data API, which was being used for most mobile map apps. Basically, most apps that interacted with Google Maps (dealing with "My Maps" in particular) will no longer work.

Found this out the hard way, as I'm going on a trip this weekend, and couldn't import any of "My Map" data to my iPhone... Real pain.

More info from Google:
http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/11/maps-data-api-deprecation-announcement.html

- Ira

adondeeres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
No need to restore, this has nothing to do with your device.

As of Feb 1, 2011, Google has discontinued the old Maps Data API, which was being used for most mobile map apps. Basically, most apps that interacted with Google Maps (dealing with "My Maps" in particular) will no longer work.

Found this out the hard way, as I'm going on a trip this weekend, and couldn't import any of "My Map" data to my iPhone... Real pain.

More info from Google:
http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/11/maps-data-api-deprecation-announcement.html

- Ira

I guess I'm still a little confused. Why is this only affecting a select few and why would it affect different iOS? I posted the same message on everythingcafe and it seems someone there who was on 4.2.1 was also affected. Is this to say that if I update my iOS, things will still be the same? This is all very troubling...

krs7272

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Detroit
Agreed, I started having problems with Maps around the same date, maybe Tuesday (02/22/11), even. Last week, the maps app worked fine. This week, it never stops drawing - it keeps pulling down data, filling in blocks, then showing them as grey squares. It used to pull down all the data in 30-45 seconds. What happened to Maps???
Same here though maybe a jailbreak file corrupted it. Did a restore and worked ever since. Though my sisters phone never had an issue?

beentomb

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
The most popular areas are more likely to be photographed (the pictures come from planes taking photos of the land beneath them.)I'm sure at some point, every part of America and the rest of the world will be filled in. But who knows how long it could take.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
The most popular areas are more likely to be photographed (the pictures come from planes taking photos of the land beneath them.)I'm sure at some point, every part of America and the rest of the world will be filled in. But who knows how long it could take.
What are you talking about? Did you even read the thread? It has absolutely nothing to do with picture from airplanes...:rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Lol :D
You're serious?
Pictures taken by planes for google maps?
And like said above it has nothing to do with the thread but good try:D

adondeeres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I wanted to update this thread. It now seems the iPhone Google maps app is finally working for me and hopefully for the rest of my iPhone's life. I'm not sure what happened, but perhaps it was an issue on Google's part? I haven't restored and the only changes I've made include installing an updated version of LockInfo and I also decided to install Popup Blocker because of the free license with a valid LockInfo license. I made these changes on 3/3/11. I doubt the functionality of Google maps it has anything to do with those 2 apps though. I haven't tried using maps for the past 3-4 days, so Google may have made some changes during that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.