Google Maps now has biking directions!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Bill Av, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Bill Av macrumors member

Don't know how many other people wanted it, but I'm psyched. Didn't expect it with this version, but it's there - and the turn by turn seems to be on par with the Android version. Can't wait to try it out for real

2. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

It also now has proper turn by turn voice navigation for ipod touch ( when used with gps dock/compatible bluetooth GPS)

Previously it only had manual directions that you had to skip through.

3. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I was going to start a separate thread, but you already have. Cool! I'm using the iPhone version of the app (I'm assuming that's will be the normal use case for bicycling)...

Has anyone figured out if there is a legend for the bike maps? IOW, the bike paths seem to be solid green, does the dashed green include both bike lanes and/or bike routes?

Also, turn-by-turn directions don't seem to specify regular roads, bike routes, bike lanes, or bike paths. For example, it tells me to turn right but it doesn't say to turn right onto a bike path or to a bike lane.

Also, how do I pick a starting and ending point for bike directions from the map view?

----------

What GPS dock/compatible Bluetooth GPS are you using, Crunchie?

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Previously I was using the tomtom dock with an iPod touch 4th.

There isn't one for the iPod touch 5th Gen so I am using a cheap bluetooth GPS dongle with a jailbroken iPod touch 5th. Works fine with sygic/tomtom/google maps. Only google maps needs internet of course