Google maps now offers geolocation.

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by clevin, Jul 9, 2009.

1. belvdr macrumors 603

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It didn't even get my planet.

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I get a "your location could not be determined" message, on Firefox 3.5 for OSX.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

did you allowed it? firefox will display a notification bar and ask you if you want to share your location.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If it doesn't work on Safari, I don't need it.....

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yeah, I clicked the always allow... After about 3 or 4 tries it's now getting past the "location can't be determined" thing but I'm getting no blue dot on the map itself to indicate my location -- just a map that zooms out to a multi-state-wide view that's kind of in the general vicinity of where I'm actually located.

But then I do live in Podunk... ;)

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This would be highly accurate if my backyard was the entire state of Connecticut. Unfortunately it's not, and it's not.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

11. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

With the low to no accuracy on finding the location, what is the point of this feature other than being cool? Like can't you just as easy type your home address in when looking for directions? Someone correct me if I am missing something (and I am really not trying to be rude).

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Useless as far as I'm concerned.

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Yea i kind of figured that would be the case...does anyone know how they try to pinpoint your location?

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Cool? Before it can be cool, it must first be useful. As I posted above, it can't locate the correct planet on my system. (It shows a map of the Western Hemisphere, but no blue dot anywhere to be seen.) But what if it did work? I'm sitting at my computer at home. I know where my home is. If I didn't, then I would have a bigger problem than the blue dot was designed to solve.

This would be a useful feature in Safari on my iPhone 3GS. However, it is not supported in Safari. The Google Maps app on the iPhone 3GS already has it, so that the feature in iPhone Safari would be redundant. This is the answer to a question that nobody asked.

Let us hope that Google has not jumped the shark.

15. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Sorry didn't mean to slight you on that...I was just asking if there was a purpose to the feature. I would have to agree with you in that you should know where your house is so you really don't need google to find that for you. Plus if the feature doesn't work as you say you are having problems then I guess really a waste of effort by google.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No need to apologize. However, I think that it has been fairly well established that the very concept is flawed. The feature might serve a purpose on a laptop with a GPS receiver attached. On a desktop computer, it is difficult to even conceive of a useful purpose for the feature.