Google Maps on iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Blakely028, May 1, 2008.

1. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Hi my iPod touch with the purchased software upgrade doesn't seem to let my Google Maps work. I go to that app, connected to the wireless network and I try to get it to find my current location, but I get a message "Your location could not be determined."

It has done that since I bought the upgrade, please help! :cool:

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

It means your location (and IP) needs to be regestred with skyhook, and i HIGHLY reccomend NOT doing so.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I believe the "find my current location" is dependent upon the availability of several wi-fi networks in your range, from which Google Maps can triangulate a rough position.

If you're simply connected to a local wi-fi network and no others are in range, in can't figure out where you are.

I'm assuming you can map things out, just not find your location, right?

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

No, this was the reason for the $20 update was to pay skyhook for their services, and it it like the cell tower location mapping, just with wifi (and i believe it only needs one signal)

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

It appears it's a little of both:

Timely link.

I'd also add that the feature likely doesn't work real well if your wi-fi "hotspot" is your home wi-fi, unless as PMB mentions, you register with Skyhook. Which doesn't sounds like a great idea.

6. ranwanimator macrumors newbie

Here's the thing. I read the product brief on skyhook's website. I honestly don't know what the fear issue is with registering with them. Every person who registers their router makes their location network more accurate. Unless you have your SSID broadcast turned off, they most likely have your router in their system already. They had teams of drivers just tooling around cities collecting SSID broadcasts and tying them to physical locations.

So it's probably not working for one of a couple reasons. Either they haven't driven past your house, you haven't registered your router with them, or your SSID broadcast is turned off and there are no other known wireless routers within 200ft of you broadcasting SSIDs. It only needs one known router to get an idea of where you are. The more it can poll the more accurate your results and the smaller your target circle.

Peace.

7. Blakely028 thread starter macrumors regular

Blakely028

I can search for maps and calculate routes, its just that I can't get it to pinpoint my location.

8. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

What am I missing? Why are people leary of registering with Skyhook? Not that I think it's ok, I'm just curious what people's actual worries are.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

^ I suppose my concern may perhaps be somewhat unfounded, but I'm a little wary that it seems that the bulk of locations were initially found by driving around sniffing for wireless networks, which seems shady. Sure, I realize it probably really isn't, but it seems that way.

I'm also wary of sending the MAC address of my wireless router out. Again, likely because I'm somewhat uneducated on this but I just don't like that idea.

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I live a half mile off the road, so my router won't get picked up, and I would rather not have a physical location attached to my router