Google Maps price?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by andrunious, Sep 24, 2012.

1. andrunious macrumors member

Anyone have idea of what Google may charge? I feel like they can charge just about anything they want.

I actually feel like $9.99 wouldn't be unreasonable all things considered.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'd be shocked if it wasn't free. Google definitely has incentive to charge for it, but it would be very un-Google of them to do so.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Google could charge, maybe $.99 max. More than that and people would tell them to go **** themselves.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They would probably use the phrase "Get lost."

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

lol. Nah, i'd tell them to go **** themselves.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

8. essential macrumors regular

I'd have no problem paying ($0.99-$9.99) for Google Maps, especially if it had turn-by-turn and some sort of offline route caching. Hell, I'd pay like $40-$50 for Google Maps if it stored maps on your device like TomTom/Navigon/Garmin. Google Maps are hands down the best and I wouldn't be offended if they weren't free, I'm more than willing to pay for a premium product.

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Hopefully free. I doubt they would charge because Google Search app is free.

10. laz305 macrumors regular

It'll be free like always. No worries. Those guys are billionaires they can afford it.

11. James twinli macrumors newbie

12. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

cant help but wonder why they would let it release for free... not that im complaining... but what possible gain could they get? who doesnt love profit! id think they would charge some amount, considering how apple maps is basically a joke at this point (from what ive read and heard so far)

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I don't think it will be a fee-based app, I believe that if Google charges then they're only putting more money into Apple's product. I don't quite get Apple's logic behind not using Google maps now but they made a decision and that is that. As Google, I wouldn't give them any more money than necessary.

And all those who talk about Google and security and using maps through Google can be intrusive (saw that stated here in the last few days), using Apple's dictation and presumably Siri is like storing anything you've ever spoken on a server that can be accessed without warrant. Apple is somewhat open about this.

14. Preed08 macrumors regular

lol, i see what u did there

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I just do not understand the love affair with google maps. I never use it on my phone. For turn by turn i use motionx or waze. Now when i get the 5 i will most likely use the built in apple map program.

16. ctbear macrumors 6502a

When you fire up the Apple maps you will understand the difference.
    The old maps is not the best, but at least it uses the large data Google has been maintaining for years. The data set Apple maps uses is a joke.
    I don't even want to bring up the built in Google Maps on Android.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably free for the app.

Then maybe an annual $10 subscription for ad-free and turn-by-turn directions.

18. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

It will be free. With services like Google and Facebook, you're not the customer, you're the product.

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I have used it ( apple map on iOS6) on my 4 and for me it is just as useless as the old map ( google map on iOS 5). Without spoken turn by turn what is the draw.

20. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you've seen this picture, but it pretty sums up with Google's large map data is so much better than the one Apple uses.
    [​IMG]