Google Maps Revamped

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by nbs2, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

...and it stinks.

Sure, you can collapse the directions, it is a little snappier, you can add destinations more easily and you can plot walking routes, but feature loss far outweighs the benefits.

Lost are the ability to reorder your destinations (although Google claims that this is a bug and it will be restored) and time between segments (no comment, yet).

Color me disappointed.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you find your glass often seems to be half-empty (vs. half-full), then maybe you should try using a smaller glass.

Just saying... :D

3. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

I use Google Maps constantly to map out my band's tours and such. I only used the new revamped Google Map for a few minutes last night, but I hated it. I think it may have been because I was tired and not willing to adjust to something new that late at night, since I just fooled around with it a bit more right now and loved it haha.

Could you always add more destinations right in the beginning or is that new?

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

It isn't either. It arrived a while ago, but wasn't an original feature, I believe. The benefit to the new design on this is that the location list is at the top, which means that you aren't forced to go to the end of the direction list to add a destination. But, good luck with reordering the list.

5. guifa macrumors 6502

I just checked it out but it looks exactly the same as the old one. Did I miss something?

6. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

The changes might have only been applied to the U.S. site so far.

They changed the widget you use to close the left-side panel (there's been a way to collapse it for a while, but now it's a << button near the top). They've embedded Directions in the left-side panel rather than having two side-by-side input boxes above the map. And they've removed the "Search the Map", "Find a Business", and "Get Directions" links from the space above the map and next to their logo.

7. guifa macrumors 6502

Hrm, I'm back home for the summer in Alabama, and the links there are still above with the two get directions text fields right above them. Collapse is still in the center of the dividing bar. Odd. Maybe they figure we Alabama folk prefer change to go much slower heh.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I thought Alabama's motto was "Change is bad". :p

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've noticed it's been chopping between new and old on the UK version for a week now.

I don't have a problem with the new one, but preferred the old one. It wasn't broken, so why did they fix it? :rolleyes:

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I wish they would get some proper, detailed maps for South Africa...