Google Maps = total suckage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaptSaltyJack, Jul 28, 2008.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed Google Maps is really crap now as of firmware 2.0? Two major issues I have with it: sometimes when tapping on the bookmark icon, it sits there for a good 10-15 seconds before doing anything. Secondly, the directions it gives are totally wonky now. It often avoids highways for no reason, where the actual Google Maps web site (maps.google.com) will say to take the highway. How can Google Maps contradict itself like this?

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's the first time I've used it so can't comment for pre 2.0

It doesn't seem that bad to me however, just a bit laggy

3. shinenjk macrumors regular

I like everything about it except for 2 things:

1.) No streetview - not a big deal
    2.) Gives me DRIVING directions - OK I live in Boston, I don't have a car, I walk or bike so driving directions are totally useless to me.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed... it's really wonderful, but for instance, while it shows train lines on the map and shows icons for stations, unlike the normal maps.google.com, you cannot actually touch a train station and figure out which station it is or which lines it serves....

But I think the OP is specifically looking for validation on whether there are bugs / problems that are unique to Maps on 2.0 and did not exist in 1.1.4?

5. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well what kind of directions would you like. Walking directions. Would'nt they be the same.:confused:

6. Salvacion macrumors member

There are some bugs, I have an old iPhone 16GB and since I've updated, I've used google maps less and less. I also get the lag for the bookmarks and I feel like the localization feature has gotten worse.

7. shinenjk macrumors regular

No, unfortunately driving directions are different from "shortest route there" direction via foot/bike because of one way streets.

8. aridon macrumors member

Type train stations in the serach field and it should pop them up with push pins.

2.0 is definitely laggy hopefully they fix that. With all the crap microsoft gets apple has gotten a mostly free ride on this.