Google Maps updates via App Store???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by v-roc, Jun 27, 2008.

1. v-roc macrumors newbie

With iPhone 2.0 coming out w/ the App Store, can we expect updates to pre-installed apps like google maps, stocks, etc. to be free App Store upgrades? It would be nice to get them that way vs waiting for a firmware update.

New Google maps Train info update:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAUunR91VzI

:apple:

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

as someone who lives in an area with pretty much no trains, the train update wouldnt help much. but updates would be pretty cool i guess

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I would deff love to have Train/Bus times and routes integrated into Google Maps.

4. ne0star macrumors regular

Would this work? I'm not sure you can update the defualt apps as they are part of the firmware which i'm assuming doesn't sit in memory available to the apps store.

My understanding of the apps store is the apps will take up part of the flash storage available for musc, video's etc..

I'm probably talking rubbish though :p

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes you are correct.

Downloaded items through wireless (likewise, music bought through the iTWMS) are saved on the media partition of the device.
    This is the physical space available on the device's flash drive, after taking into consideration the iPhone OS itself.

There is another partition though separate to this. This partition stands at 300mb and is used to store the actual iPhone OS and application resources.

Yes, downloading/buying Map.app updates through the App Store would both prove to be theoretically and physically possible in the near future.

Once the App Store launches, I only expect to download a full firmware image from iTunes if Apple need to update the security of the device.
    New software features or additions can now be put up on the app store, with ease, by Apple themselves.

R-Fly

6. sara123456 macrumors member

I have never owned a Iphone before I would just like to know when you use google maps can you see the Images from google earth on the iphone?

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes you can see satelite view, but it isnt the same as google earth, you cant angle your view and stuff like that

8. sara123456 macrumors member

thanks that was a quick reply. Thats really good then as sometimes maps just aren't good enough so the satellite views will help.

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Yep. If they would add topographic maps and streetview as well, there would seriously never be an excuse to get lost if you have the new iPhone.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

with gps as well... youd have to be an idiot to get lost!
    [​IMG]
    (yes obviously its fake)