Google Maps uses GPS after a phone call...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mad Mac Maniac, May 5, 2013.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So I've noticed recently that when I get off a phone call I'll see the GPS icon activated on my iPhone 5. I started investigating to determine the cause. I've discovered that it is the Google Maps app that queries my GPS information at the end of a call.... Does anybody else have this problem (or "feature" as Google would say)?

It stays on for like 10-15 seconds.

2. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Thanks for pointing that out. I just tried mine and got the same exact thing. :confused:

3. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

While this is certainly an interesting find, it needs to be made clear that there is no such thing as a "GPS icon" on the iPhone. You're talking about the Location Services icon which is not the same thing as GPS.

I'd still be interested to know what Google is using the Location Services for, but knowing the proper terminology may help people if they're searching for answers online.

My guess is simply that it's using cell tower info in order to know what results to give you in searches. For example, if I Google "zoo" on my iPhone I get the DC Smithsonian Zoo as the first result. I'm betting you'll get your local zoo rated first.

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well google maps would need to have been used recently enough that it's still in its open, saved state. If the App is completely closed then I don't think Apple's API's would let an app query your "location services".

Perhaps, but I'm not sure why google needs to know my location during each phone call. Sounds a bit sketch.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

So if I understand correctly, to avoid providing information to Google, after you use the Map app, go to the multi-tasking bar and manually close the app...correct?

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I just tested this myself. Loaded google maps. Confirmed location services was on (upper right). Exited app (left it in task tray). Waited a few seconds for the location service icon to disappear. Made a call. Nothing. Am I missing something?

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well, I can only speak to what's happening on my end, but that's what happens for me.

A couple of notes:
    1- I am signed in to my Google account (could make a difference?)
    2- the location services only pops up at the end of the call (not during) and stays on for approx 10 seconds.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There's no way for Google (or any other third party developer) to actually do this on iOS.

It's pure coincidence.

11. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I'm sorry, but this has happened on multiple occassions. There is no way this is a coincidence. At very best it is correlation if not direct causation.

12. Tj13 macrumors newbie

Could you have a weather app open and the GPS is momentarily checking?

13. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

No, because I actually go into location services and it shows the purple arrow by google maps indicating that it is the culprit.

I honestly can't say how often this happens, or even if it's still happening, because I typically don't think to look at my phone after I hang up. But after I noticed it I tried a couple more test calls and it still happened.

14. SufferingIdiots macrumors newbie

I've noticed the same thing for awhile now. A little disconcerting as the app definitely seems to know when I'm making calls.
    Could google be collecting information on us illegally?

15. rahul321 macrumors newbie

Me too. I'm certain it's Google Maps that's using my location everytime I make a call.

Not sure how to contact Apple about this, but I'm curious and concerned about how a non-native app knows when I'm making a call. I also think that there should be an option to turn this "feature" off, and that it should be opt-in, not enabled by default.

16. idophir macrumors newbie

I also noticed the location services icon appearing after each call. I'm pretty sure it's activated by Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Usage & Diagnostics.

Strange it only recently started. I can't remember updating the system in the last few days.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's certainly possible but nothing in this thread so far proves anything. As the OP says, it's correlation at best. Causality has not been demonstrated, what the app is going with the data or why it is using location services have not been determined.