iPhone Google Maps without CarPlay?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by danny_w, Sep 30, 2018.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have not been paying a lot of attention to the release of iOS 12 but I thought that one of the major selling points was that you could now select which mapping app was used by default; several users here were vehement about this when I complained about the lack of customization in this regard, and told me to update to iOS 12. Now that I have updated it seems that all of the posts that I find refer to CarPlay, which is of no use to me at the moment. So is there still no way to set the default mapping app in iOS? I know I should have done my homework, but this is the whole reason that I updated at this early stage; usually I wait until at least the .2 or .3 release of any now OS release.

2. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

The Keynote explicitly said it was only available for CarPlay; you can't select a default mapping app.

3. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

You can’t set defaults for anything. Perhaps with iOS 13? There are things you can do with Siri shortcuts, which might help in specific circumstances - you could say “hey Siri, take me home” and have it open Google Maps and navigate to your home. Tapping links still won’t work though.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Ok thanks that’s disappointing then. I did not watch the keynote but others had been adamant that you would finally be able to select default apps in iOS 12. I know, shouldn’t have got my hopes up (I thought that sounded too good to be true). This is Apple after all. I may be going back to Android again for my next phone if this keeps up.

5. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Google maps does work with CarPlay now. I used it this morning and I’m so glad I don’t have to rely on Siri navigation anymore.

6. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

Tbf, Google Maps for Carplay is terrible. I'd stick to Apple Maps or Waze, if anything.

7. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

8. DaveOP macrumors 65816

What issues have you had? I've used all 3 in my car, and Google Maps seems fine in the US. None of them seem much better than others, though I prefer Waze for reasons not related to Carplay.

9. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

kingston73

A question for you all, is there a way to keep google and waze from displaying on a cars headunit? I prefer looking at my phone while my headunit shows me what music is playing and don’t want maps or waze to show on the dash display. Is there a way to cancel it so it only shows on the phone?

10. Steve28 macrumors regular

@kingston73 Kinda the whole point of CarPlay is to use your car's infotainment screen instead of the phone.

So, the only thing I think you could do is not use CarPlay and bluetooth the audio to your car. Then you can start your audio, switch to whatever map app you want, and it should be able to display the music info on your car while the phone is showing the map.