Google Maps ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fedup flyer, Jul 14, 2008.

1. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Has anyone else noticed with the new google map feature, you cannot hit the update button to update you position but every so often and as soon as you launch the app it begins to update your position? I havent figured out what the parameters are to cause an update yet , wether its a time delay or gross position change.
    Personally, I am not liking the change. Sometimes I may want to refer to the un-updated map or I need a new update on demand to re-fix my position.

2. spicoli macrumors member

I noticed this the other day. Thought it was pretty neat, until I wondered how this might affect battery life. I found a setting to turn off "Location Services" (Settings>General>Location Services). I turned this off, then tried to find my location on Maps, a dialog popped up "Maps would like to use your current location, Don't Allow or OK. If you don't allow, it won't find your position. If you Allow, it turns the Location Services back on. It would be nice to be able to use location services for a one time event, then have it default back to off.