Google Maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwyn, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kwyn macrumors regular

I heard that on 3.0 one would be able to have the direction they are driving always facing up. Is that true?

If so, how is this accomplished?

Does google Maps have any other new 3.0 features?

THX.

2. 22Hz macrumors member

3. kwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Pretty silly considering other GPS apps can do it on the 3g w/o compass.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I think you are talking about the compass. That is only available on the 3gs. Enabling the compass on the 3gs will tell you which way you are pointing on the map. Not sure what you mean by "up" maybe you mean the top of the screen?

5. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

It's only a 3GS thing. In order to use it, you press the location pinging icon on the bottom left once to locate your position. Press it again and it will reorient the map to make the map face in the direction you are holding the phone (does not work well in a car IMO). Press it again to turn it off.

Speaking of which, I wish Apple would add a third option that would deem it useful in a car. For example:

>Press location icon once: pings your GPS location
    >Press location icon twice: reorients the map in the direction the phone is facing
    >Press location icon three times: reorients the map in the direction the phone is moving
    >Press location icon four times:turns off the feature

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

it also seems to orient the map toward the top of the phone (vs the direction of travel).

if you spin the phone around the map follows along with the compass cone always pointing toward the earpiece.

anyone notice differently?

edit: looks like rice already pointed that out :) though I'm not too certain about the 3x option

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think they could have made the 3G do this too. Maybe not like the 3GS does it without even moving the phone (which is because of the compass), but maybe it could change once the phone starts to move and figures out which direction its traveling...

8. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7A341)

+1