Google merging Chrome OS and android

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Oct 29, 2015.

1. mclld, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. tbayrgs, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Would leave to read the article but it's behind the WSJ paywall. :(

Update: Here's a brief article over at Android Central.

Im curious...if Apple released a laptop with iOS, they would get crucified to high hell (pretty much the consistent criticism of the iPad Pro). Will Alphabet/Google see they same criticism or will the Android faithful flip their script. ;)

3. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Here's a non-paywall article on it:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639950/google-combining-android-chromeos-report

5. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

It was inevitable considering the Pixel C runs Android.

I do find it a bit weird, though. Chromebooks are ridiculously popular and I was just about to buy one. This effectively kills them off, it's just not worth buying one.

OK, it's a short term problem and it probably makes sense long term as Android will be king no matter what. But it's still weird how Google have just gone flipmode.

6. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Wasn't much content in chrome os in the first place. It always seemed like a chrome browser running in a stripped down android environment.

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

What is sucky to me about this move is how ChromeOS is pretty damn secure from what I've read, while Android... not so much.

Plus Chromebooks get updated directly from Google, while Android OEMs can sit on their ass and take months (if ever) to push an update.

Really hope Google addresses these issues before the merger.

8. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

maybe this is part of the reason, the new OS will give them the control

9. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

That's true. If Google could gain back control of android from at least the carriers, not necessarily the oems, it would be a lot better of an experience.

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I sure hope so! Would be a dream come true... but I'm not holding my breath since ChromeOS isn't forked the way Android is, which is why Google can update it right away. Imagine if Samsung comes out with a "Touchwiz" Chromebook? Bleh! :(

11. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Haha. Touchwiz on a chrome book would really signal the end of technology.

12. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sadly, you can almost certainly expect this to happen. In much the same way that OEMs use skins to differentiate their Android phones, they'll do the same on laptops. If Google can't stop them from doing it on phones now, how can they do it on other devices?

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Brace yourself, because if Samsung offers an Android laptop, I'll wager any amount of money you'd like that it'll have the latest iteration of TouchWiz. :(

14. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

They could keep it closed source. The only reason oems can customize android it because Google bought it as open source and kept it that was. Android wear remains closed source and so manufacturers can only do preinstalled apps rather than customized looks.

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

But Android Wear is a separate OS...this won't be by the sound of it. Is Google going to set OS limits simply based on the type of device it's installed on? It's certainly an option but I personally don't see that happening--seem counter to their entire philosophy of getting as many eyeballs as possible on their services.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I like this plan. Chromebooks running Android is the next logical step. Unlike Apple, Google doesn't have a hugely established operating system for the traditional PC.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If they try to close it it'll just get forked.

18. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Those already complaining of the possibility of TouchWiz, are you aware that if its anything like how Android is now, there will be a Google made one, you won't be forced to go Samsung. Shock, horror.

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

stock android with samsung hardware is kind of a mecca for stock android folks, I think that's why you see people get bent out of shape

samsung really doesnt have the same upper echelon hardware status with respect to chromebooks