Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I can see why people wouldn't like this, but it beats the current scenario imo

Id rather have Google in charge of the software versus any oem. Give me the ability to downgrade and unlocked bootloader and that is really the dream

Reactions: Ddyracer and jamezr

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I hope this happens soon. I hate it how Marshmallow, which is nearing 5 months old, isn't available on my Edge+, which was released on the same month as Marshmallow was. It's persuaded me not to get another Samsung until they sort this out.

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
I hope this happens soon. I hate it how Marshmallow, which is nearing 5 months old, isn't available on my Edge+, which was released on the same month as Marshmallow was. It's persuaded me not to get another Samsung until they sort this out.
Samsung not running the latest OS on their devices is nothing new. They did it on the Galaxy S from day 1 and every new device since then.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Google can go vanilla Android and oems can have you run a theme skin over it kinda like how you can change themes on the gs6 and note 5

Boot up vanilla or even have default skins on but the ability to go back to pure Android and have Google push updates as soon as they are ready would be amazing.

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Google can go vanilla Android and oems can have you run a theme skin over it kinda like how you can change themes on the gs6 and note 5

Boot up vanilla or even have default skins on but the ability to go back to pure Android and have Google push updates as soon as they are ready would be amazing.
Or they can simply make their launchers a downloadable program on the app store.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Samsung not running the latest OS on their devices is nothing new. They did it on the Galaxy S from day 1 and every new device since then.

Part of the reason for this is stability. New Android releases are pushed to Nexus phones that are geared towards development and are plagued with bugs and issues.

They are more of a beta platform and tobthis day every new Android release runs like dog until at least it's 4th firmware update.

It's the reason Samsung is beta testing marshmallow now on select devices because it's not ready for prime time.

To this day kit kat runs circles around lollipop and it took lollipop about 10 updates to get it right on Nexus devices.

Oems need bullet proof stable releases
[doublepost=1455774895][/doublepost]
Or they can simply make their launchers a downloadable program on the app store.

That will never happen Samsung has spent years building its framework and has added so many features stock Android does not have.its camera API is 10x better then stock Android and you can bet anything they are not putting there hard earned programing out there lol

I don't even think marshmallow has split screen yet?

IV had 3 Nexus phones and remember all the issues,battery drain, apps not support art runtime,GPS going nuts etc.

Just look how many changes happen in a week on a cyanogen rom.its like updated 300 times a week to fix and tweak issues.

Last edited:

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Part of the reason for this is stability. New Android releases are pushed to Nexus phones that are geared towards development and are plagued with bugs and issues.

They are more of a beta platform and tobthis day every new Android release runs like dog until at least it's 4th firmware update.

It's the reason Samsung is beta testing marshmallow now on select devices because it's not ready for prime time.

To this day kit kat runs circles around lollipop and it took lollipop about 10 updates to get it right on Nexus devices.

Oems need bullet proof stable releases

This makes a lot of sense. But I'm sure this is exaggerated.

That will never happen Samsung has spent years building its framework and has added so many features stock Android does not have.its camera API is 10x better then stock Android and you can bet anything they are not putting there hard earned programing out there lol

I don't even think marshmallow has split screen yet?

IV had 3 Nexus phones and remember all the issues,battery drain, apps not support art runtime,GPS going nuts etc.

Just look how many changes happen in a week on a cyanogen rom.its like updated 300 times a week to fix and tweak issues.
They can filter the program to only show up for their devices.
[doublepost=1455777314][/doublepost]
The article said it would bring everything under the umbrella of GMS. If that includes Android itself the era of me having my SW run the way I want it to is gone.
No it isn't.

The OS becomes software layer that Google can update. The carriers move their things like camera software to downloadable programs. The programs enumerate the capabilities of the hardware and display the supported options. Everything doesn't have to be mashed into one rom in order for it to work.

Maybe now the Android phones will be more up to date.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

No it isn't.

The OS becomes software layer that Google can update. The carriers move their things like camera software to downloadable programs. The programs enumerate the capabilities of the hardware and display the supported options. Everything doesn't have to be mashed into one rom in order for it to work.

It doesn't have to be mashed into one ROM but when/if you close the source of Android and make it like GMS there is defacto one ROM.

I may be gleefully jumping down a slope but I'm not feeling this especially with statements like:

"Google will end up taking complete control of Android by moving the entire OS into its services layer known as Google Mobile Services (GMS). This is the only way that Google can end the endemic fragmentation that continues to plague its devices as well as take back control of software distribution," Windsor said.

"The net result is that a Google device will become much like an iOS or a Windows 10 device with absolutely no options for handset makers to make any changes."

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

I get that, but I'm fairly new to Android, so having a phone for 4 months, and it being on an outdated version for all 4 of those months isn't a good start. I was hoping that Google taking control of updates could fix that. If it doesn't, my next phone is going to be one that is good with updates, like a Nexus or an HTC.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

No it isn't.

A lot of you guys never used a nexus and had new Android right when it comes out.

I just did a search for marshmallow issues and the net cane back with tons of issues and reminds me of the good old days of having a nexus.

I didn't even read the whole article but they are having all the same issues.
No wifi
No data
Bluetooth issues
Charging issues
Huge battery drain issues

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/01/05/android-6-0-problems-fixes/

Just read that link and it will give you a good idea of why att and Verizon won't put that first and second build out in the mainstream.

Screenshot_2016-02-18-07-47-01.png

Reactions: gotluck

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I took the latest updates every time when my gs4 gpe got them from from 4.2.2 to the current 5.1 monthly security updates and there has been nothing deal breaking fwiw. Granted the device got its updates a little slower than nexus

Touchwiz still has its biggest problems, like cell standby bug and Google services running rampant at times

I would also argue to stay shy and do your research on .0 apple releases too, that's just the name of the game

Reactions: Surf Donkey

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
On the surface, this seems great for those who are fans of stock Android but also to create an entire new set of problems:

- OEMs, the producers of 99.9% of the hardware running Android, will hate this. Their software skins are the predominant way they can differentiate themselves. Take a look at the spec sheets for upcoming Android handsets and they all seem remarkably similar: Snapdragon 820, similar camera specs (since most are likely using the same sensor), QHD displays, fingerprint sensors, etc---what's going to draw consumers to one manufacturer vs. another?

- Centralized updates should certainly speed up the process in principle but it's still not a one size fits all. Won't the software need various tweeks for the hundreds of different handsets will their endless different hardware specs? Or does this mean Google will have to require OEMs have minimum hardware specs in their devices to try to streamline the software update process? Even Google's Nexus updates are super timely...seems like this will still mean a pretty significant lag in updates, at least compared to what Apple consumers experience.

- A move like this seems to be a giant step towards the model utilized by Apple--a type of culture that is exactly the opposite of what makes Android, well, Android.

I'm personally in favor of such a change but that's purely based on my preferences. My ideal Android phone is a Google version of the iPhone--Google produced hardware with Google produced software optimized for said hardware. But I think bringing all elements of control Android under one roof could create more problems that than it solves.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr and gotluck

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
FINALLY google grows a set of balls. This is awesome. As for manufacturer skins, can't they accomplish most of this through a launcher? I'm sure there will be a way for a manufacturer to get out of the ordinary functions added to the base OS, for example the Spen functionality of the Note series. Although with Samsung I'm pretty sure this would push them to Tizen very quickly.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
How would this even work? LG/Samsung, etc would be giving up so much control of their devices' software.

Will launchers like Touchwiz become seperate apps in the Google Play store, so the base software will be updated by Google, but Samsung/whateverOEM will update these "apps" as they go along?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
How would this even work? LG/Samsung, etc would be giving up so much control of their devices' software.

Will launchers like Touchwiz become seperate apps in the Google Play store, so the base software will be updated by Google, but Samsung/whateverOEM will update these "apps" as they go along?

Maybe Google will set future proof guidelines for manufacturer skins, so Android can update and manufacturer skins will be already compatible. At least that's the way it should work for 1-2 complete Android version updates. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.