Google Most valuable company

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by bobenhaus, Jun 26, 2013.

1. bobenhaus macrumors 6502a

2. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Shush don't say that too loud around these parts.

Folks round here don't take kindly to that type of blasphemous talk. :D

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

hehe...now to wait for the AppleGuard (iPhone infantry).

Let's see, I suspect the comments to be:

- We don't care
    - Does it really matter? (yet the same people blow up balloons when it was Apple)
    - I don't use Google products, they are teh suXoR
    - *yawn* (those people could use more sleep)
    - iOS is still better
    - Pshhh at least my phone isn't made of plastic like SameSongs (yet they keep their phone in plastic case)
    - That site is clearly biased, so we shouldn't visit it anymore.
    - Ummm this is MacRumors, we don't care about other companies.
    - Stop talking bad about Apple...then they go to Feedback section saying how they don't like hearing bad talk about Apple and how this site is over run by FanDroids.

Then we all get to watch the iFanBoys and FanDroids battle out debating how their phone has 10 more pixels per inch and .0001% faster response time and are so much cooler than the other brands. :cool:

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Most valuable company and they can't even sort the rolling out of google devices in most territories ..... It's a rather sad indictment of the world for the global consumer.

5. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

This is great news, the most valuable company in just a few shorts years, kudos to Google and their amazing products! :D

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That's the first thought that popped into my head too.

7. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

This is a funny thread, waiting for the AppleGuard to arrive.

8. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

Without trying to sound like too much of a Google apologist, their rollouts and deliveries have gotten a LOT better.

As an example, I live in Brisbane (third largest city in Australia), and a few years ago Google searching was literally the only Google product that existed here.

Now we have access to Gmail, Google music, devices from the play store (nexus 4, 7 and 10), and in general more Android exposure.

So yeah, it's getting there.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

First, I'm in no way making excuses for Apple but two issues:

1). To correct the OP, the valuation used in this article is NOT market capitalization (more commonly used but IMO, also a flawed measurement). Using market capitalization, Apple is still more valuable ($378 vs. $286 billion).

2). The logic used in the article doesn't make any sense. Because Apple has $145 billion in cash reserves, it's valuation is less?? So because the net cost if someone was to purchase Google is greater it's more valuable? I'm sorry but that's an absolutely pointless measure. That's just saying one costs more, nothing about value.

And too be honest, considering the market cap is based on the current stock price which in itself may be drastically over/under priced at a given moment, I'd take any or all of this with a grain of salt.

Regardless, considering the age of Google as a publicly traded company, their success is pretty impressive.

10. maxosx macrumors 68020

Very true. It's great to watch Google continue to gather more enthusiasts and rise in popularity. Without them building apps for the iPhone it wouldn't be as good as it is today.

11. goMac macrumors 603

Huh? Apple still has a higher market cap than Google.

Sure, you can take out Apple's cash reserves, but why? That's kind of arbitrary.

12. cnev3, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

cnev3 macrumors 6502

Most of the people who will read this thread aren't investors. They just see the price of the stock and think yay google! They probably don't even know that Google stock doesn't pay dividends. And they'll have to google what a dividend is after reading this.

Google is too high to purchase right now. Apple is too uncertain as to wether it's going to continue to decline, or rebound. I'd avoid both right now.

I'm buying some Walgreens and GEO Group.

13. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Apple is doomed!
    Sell your stocks!
    Throw out your iPhones!
    Smash your Macs!
    Steve would've never let this happen!
    :rolleyes:

And I just checked Stocks in Notification Center and currently, AAPL market cap is 373.6B while GOOG is 289.9B, so...? And stocks aren't indicative of anything other than market perception, but it's good to see more people posting the obvious that Google is successful. I'm also glad all those comments about the imminent posts of raging Apple fanboys were correct... wait.

Now Google just needs to release a new Nexus phone and ill be happy with them.

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

First off, market cap is mostly bullcrap. It is tied directly to stock price rather than assets meaning that any company with enough buzz or people driving up their share price can vie for the top spot.

Second, as things currently stand.... google is in a far better market position that apple for the future. Five years from now, almost nobody will be using an iPhone 4/4S/5 because these devices will be obsolete.

Conversely, almost everyone who has a gmail account (et. al) will still be using google's search/maps/email/<etc> services and apps because they are free and typically the best available.

Electronics are currently commoditized to the point that with enough money, anyone on this message board could lease a manufacturing facility, solder some chips to a board and manufacture a basic smart phone. A low enough cost would get you at least some market share.

It would be a little bit more difficult to compete against google search or google maps with a start-up (as Apple found out last year, and Microsoft has been finding out for a few years).

No one stays on top forever, but as an investor, I would expect Google's revenues to be more stable than Apple's for the next 5 years

15. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I am actually more surprised to see both Apple's stock and market cap fall despite them selling more devices each passing quarter compared to the previous one (or each year at least). How do these things work?

16. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

They may sell more devices but their margins shrink and growth slows/flattens and that will effect stock valuation, growth and how much investors are willing to pay to own the stock.

17. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I'm afraid that Apple or Google being the most valuable company doesn't enhance my life in any way.

18. jcpb macrumors 6502a

19. apierrec macrumors 6502

Misinformation and failed thread as Google is not even the Most valuable TECHNOLOGY company. :D

20. skratch77 macrumors 65816

technically it is,if apple sold it would not sell itself with its pure money in profit that is in its market cap.The same goes for google with its 40+ billion in pure money reserves.

apples and googles stock market cap includes all its pure profit dollars it has sitting in the bank,but that is not part of the company like if apple was sold they would not sell it with its 140 billion cash reserves it has sitting in the bank.

21. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Of course it would. That *cash*, not actually cash but a mix of cash and securities (of various maturities) is most definitely part of its value. So what do they do with the "cash"? Give it away as a bonus to a buyer?

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

??? Sorry sir but you really don't have a grasp for what's being discussed here.

Of course the cash reserves are part of the value of the company--they're called assets.

And market capitalization has absolutely nothing to do with the cash reserves, it's simply the present value of all outstanding stock (common stock, I believe). As already discussed, Apple's market cap exceeds Googles by about $90 billion.

And I agree with Tarzanman, using market cap as a measurement of valuation is in itself terribly inaccurate and IMO, flawed.

23. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

What? Google is terrible with their product releases here. Google Music took forever to be launched here, Google Now is still neutered compared to the US and we get minimal stock and late releases of Play Store devices. Gmail's been around forever here though.