Google/Moto "X Phone" to rival iPhone and Galaxy devices.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ChazUK, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/motorola-x-phone-x-tablet-rumor-android-smartphone/

Not entiurely sure what this will achieve with the Nexus program pumping out some decent hardware but this could be very interesting.

Fully Google controlled flagship hardware? Consider me interested!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It would be nice to see vs. the current new manufacturer showcase every year on the Nexus line.

Tegra 4 looks delicious too with rumors of another partnership with ASUS to make a new $99-129 tablet.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I wish Motorola would just release the Droid RAZR MAXX HD on AT&T. I would buy it ASAP.

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Now that's what I'm talking about. Good news.

5. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Count me in.

6. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

If Google can get organized and have strong leadership, it could become both a phone manufacturer and a phone carrier. God knows we need national competition against the lazy phone carriers and their artificial restrictions on smartphone use. Google would liberate. I would totally kill for a Google made phone with a Google provided data connection.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

9. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

$$$ - Google wants a piece of this pie. I would be very interested in seeing how they will eventually price said device. And hopefully the design is original, it would be a huge player in the market.

10. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Having the RAZR maxx on all the carriers would have saved Motorola. Not sure why they took the short term exclusivity agree over long term growth and profit.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This will probably be some sort of "carrier-version, unofficial Nexus, headed under the guise of Motorola aka Google" with LTE, sold at same price points as the others ($199 for two year contract).

A Googorola Nexzr, if you will.

Could be a winner.

12. ChazUK thread starter macrumors 603

ChazUK

That would instantly put me off personally.

Look at how the Galaxy Nexus in Verizon is languishing behind Android versions officially. :(

The dev community would undoubtedly pick up the slack though so it wouldn't be the end of the world. :D

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Doesn't work. The Verizon carrier locked Galaxy Nexus was a mistake, as was the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Remember when Google for a short time booted them off AOSP support because of how much of a pain in the ass CDMA carriers are?

14. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Think this will replace the Nexus programming?

15. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Isn't the Nexus 4 already considered some sort of "flagship" with that kind of specs?:confused:

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Definitely hear your concern. I'm guessing because this won't be an official Nexus, it'll get updates after the Nexus do, but likely before everyone else. The current Motos are getting JB at a faster rate than others are getting it. It took Samsung 6+ months to roll it out (but they did add new features).

I'm only speculating, though.

----------

Yup. Just speculating. Not sure how it'll all play out.

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Looks like Googorola plans to market this phone strongly: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/google-reportedly-poaches-key-samsung-marketing-vp-from-motorola/

18. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

19. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I think google should lose the Motorola name and just make it a google division.

20. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Yeah like "Google Hardware" or something. Or they already have that division?

I think Google Mobility will suit them better.

21. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'd love this. But I'm assuming they don't want to scare their OEMs?

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The better get their s&%t together though before offering they're own hardware. Their handling of the recent Nexus offerings was atrocious and they will NEVER compete with Samsung/Apple if they can't properly sell and service hardware.

23. gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55

[#ff0000]Motorola XT1058 hits the FCC: Could this be the X Fon?[/#ff0000]
    http://liliputing.com/2013/05/motorola-xt1058-hits-the-fcc-could-this-be-the-x-fon.html

It’s been about a year since Google acquired Motorola, which means that pretty much every Motorola phone that’s been released since the acquisition was already in the works before Google got involved. Research, development, and production take time.
    But that could change this year, and there’ve rumors of an upcoming Google-influenced Motorola device called the X Fon. While allegedly leaked photos have popped up a few times, Motorola has yet to confirm the phone’s existence.

Clearly the company is working on something, though. An unannounced handset called the Motorola XT1058 just passed through the FCC, and the label drawing looks a lot like the back of the phone in some of those leaked pictures.
    [​IMG]
    The FCC documents don’t tell us much about the device. It supports 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and NFC and works with AT&T’s 4G LTE network.
    If this is truly the first Google-influenced superphone from Motorola, odds are we’ll see versions for other wireless networks as well. Motorola and Verizon typically have a pretty chummy relationship, but it’s been a while since Motorola released a smartphone for the largest carrier in the US.
    via Droid Life and PhoneScoop

24. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Me too.