Google Nexus S with wi-fi hotspot feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanotlj, Dec 6, 2010.

1. nanotlj macrumors regular

This information was featured in coming Google Nexus S page.

"Nexus S can function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to six portable devices such as laptops or tablets. Once connected, these devices will have access to the Internet with no additional carrier fees."

I hope similar feature can be seen on next iPhone. I agree with Nexus S: why we need pay the internet fee twice.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt AT&T or any carrier be giving away tethering for free.
    Not without jailbreaking.

3. Hyuga macrumors regular

In US that is, in Europe it isn't problem.

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My Galaxy Tab and Nexus One both have this feature at no extra cost to me. Was handy when my Broadband connection was down over the recent poor weather in the UK.

I'm sure there are plenty more other phones that also let you do it for no additional cost (I'm sure Joikuspot on Symbian lets you tether). That's millions of potential handsets that let you do the same.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    If it becomes available Im sure US carriers will block that feature and would want more money to enable it.

6. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I still bet that will use your data. It will just be no fees for the feature.

7. nanotlj thread starter macrumors regular

If t-mobile does not allow it, why Google hype this feature for Nexus S?

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

You can do it without any problem on a nexus one, why not a nexus S?

It doesn't come with the carrier lockdown BS. That's the beauty of nexus. Couple that with a samsung screen and I think I know what android phone I'm going to get in the future for development purposes.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The carrier might not allow it but the phone does I guess.
    But with the iphone AT&T and if any other US carrier gets it they will put restrictions and will not allow it.
    If they charge for tethering now you think they will give it away for free with the next iphone?

Thats a Nexus/google thing I guess.
    Highly doubt it we will see that with the iphone without a JB.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I use it all the time on my Nexus One without paying anything extra to AT&T. It works great. That's why I'm hoping the Nexus S comes out in an AT&T 3G compatible version, so I can upgrade and retain the unlocked functionality of the Nexus line. Plus AT&T's Android offerings are a bit lacking.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

personally, I don't see a problem with paying extra for tethering. To a certain degree.

When a user pays for unlimited data, they're paying for unlimited data at a smartphone consumption rate. Streamed video is lower quality (thus less data) because of the screen size, many webpages are "mobile" versions, which are less data, and overall less browsing is done than with an actual computer.

When they're using that data on a computer, the consumption is much higher. The amount of bandwidth you are using is higher, so it makes sense you should have to pay for more.

However, charging for tethering on a metered data plan like ATT does is not the same thing. No matter how you use your data, you only get 2 gigs of it, so it shouldn't matter at all. Just because you consume it faster doesn't mean it should be more expensive.

12. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

In Chile with one of the carriers we get the iPhone tethering for free now but you still have to use MyWi for the wifi hotspot feature

13. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I am not surprised that it can be used as a hotspot as most of the droid phones can these days. It is surprising that it can be done with no carrier fee's. Is there a limit on data or are they still under the unlimited umbrella? I wish the IPhone could be used as a hotspot but I am sure that will be one of the big new features next year!

14. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

MiWi

/end thread

15. HSPA2LTE macrumors newbie

It was mentioned that upto 6 laptops can be connected over your nexus S for internet browsing. What speed are you getting if all 6 laptops are browsing. Can you share your experience

16. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

It will never happen. What would the point of 3G iPad if iPhone 5 can generate a wifi hotspot? Remember there are lots of fanboys who pay data for both iPhone and iPad.

17. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Not really considering you have to hack your phone and then pay $20 to get this feature.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

..... **still waiting for the page to load**

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I'm also hoping that an at&t compatible version of the Nexus S will be out shortly after the TMobile is released. I tether all the time as well and don't get charged extra.

20. walie macrumors 6502a

This is all just from memory, but I belive MiWi creates an ad-hoc network with only WEP encryption correct? Android 2.2 is able to create a true wireless hotspot with WPA2 encryption. For some people, that can be a big deal.