Google Notifier - End of Life

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flash SWT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

So I just received an email from Google that the long used Google Notifier app (which sits in the menu bar and lets you know when you have a new message in Gmail) is being discontinued. I'm pretty disappointed since the little app works perfectly and has been the main way I've interacted with Gmail for years.

Any recommendations to replace it? How is everyone else getting notified when they have new emails waiting in Gmail? Their suggestions all require using Chrome as the default browser and I'm a happy Safari user. Plus it is nice getting notifications when I don't even have the browser running.

2. Flash SWT thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

3. Enzedder macrumors member

Notify Pro?

Have a look at Notify Pro, it's available for download via the MacUpdate site but has unfortunately been abandoned by the developer :(
    It still works well under Mavericks and supports multiple Gmail accounts.

There are comments that the developer has made the license available for free and someone has posted a link to a source.

HTH?

4. tealemon macrumors newbie

Okay... it's February 3rd now and my notifier is still working? What's up with that?

In the meantime I downloaded Notify Pro as well. The trial for it just expired too, but he programme is still running. So maybe it's true the developer decided to give it away for free?

It's just kind of funny... I have two notification apps which should have stopped working for totally different reasons, and they're both still running, haha. :D

Anyone else experiencing this?

5. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

My Notifier still works too. Even though it's a basic app I still like it and it suits my needs well. I hope they keep it running.

6. nielsrasmus macrumors member

nielsrasmus

MacBiff seems like what you need.
    I can only recommend it :)

Remember that you can make your own notifications that shows in notification center when MacBiff sees a mail on Gmail's IMAP server.

7. Flash SWT thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Well they let it go over a month longer, but Google finally turned it off. I'm using the older free version of Gmail Notifr for now.

8. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

How to set Gmail as default email client in Safari

Used to be able to use Google Notifier to set default mail client as Gmail.

Now every time I click a mailto: link, it opens Mail.app, which I don't use. Are there any extensions for Safari to use Gmail as default mail client?