Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Apples review does not take so long because they take so much time to review each app. Apple doesn't do that, some of my Apps go so fast through review that I doubt that the reviewer did anything else besides starting the app and looking at the first screen for 5 seconds.

History has shown that Apples review is not as good as Apple and their users claim. It doesn't do much against apps with bad quality, it doesn't do anything against clones. Review is used to enforce copyright and content guidelines. If they see a nipple you are out. If your app crashes when you start it a second time nobody will notice.

I don't know what you were expecting, but I find it to be about whatI expected. And it's not a mystery what they are looking at. Basically everything in the terms are fair game. They don't check everything on every app, every time, but they seem to get around to pretty much everything eventually.

I think they have a fair number of quality checks as well, though I believe those are mostly automated. As far as I can tell, they use a lot of automated tests these days and rely on the humans to make the judgment calls -- which makes sense.

It can be frustratingly inconsistent. I think that's the human element and the fact that Apple asks the human reviewers to make judgment calls. I hope that it makes the store, overall, a better place. That makes it worth it, in the long run. But I don't know how to judge that.

----------

Apple will always need to make sure apps don't interfere with their grift.

I realize you're just trolling as hard as you can, but do you have any explanation for that?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Per the headline, it seems that Google Now has really come a long way since its introduction. From telling me what time my bus arrives, to reviewing apps in the Play Store. :p

Your comment deserves more up votes. It made me laugh. Then it made me cry. It's only a small step from reviewing apps to Miles Dyson. Irrefutable proof that Google Now is the predecessor of SkyNet. :p

----------

I realize you're just Hanlon's Razoring as hard as you can, but do you have any explanation for that?

Fixed that for you.;)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
The approval times are indeed a pain. Can't Apple hire more people to do the approval process?

When I submit my app, it takes almost 2 weeks before I hear any updates. Once, I got a rejection which was not my fault, but the reviewer's. I had to go through the approval process again, which admittedly took just 2 days, but still, I think I got lucky at that point.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
How will they ever survive with a walled garden? #

Seriously though, I'm glad they learned their lesson even though they'll never admit Apple was right all along.

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
What Apple can really improve on is specifying exactly how long the review will take. Honestly, as a customer, I could care less about review process as long as the app is sound and legit. It should be the job of developers to figure out how to fit in to their timelines. That being said, Apple could disclose more information about the review process, so that developers can be more prepared.

As for the Google, I thought they were going for automatic filtering. Well apparently not anymore.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Despite haters opinions, and click bait headlines, malware hasn't been much of an issue.

I use Google Play Apps as regularly, frequently and in nearly the same quantities as I do the iOS app store. After years on each platform concurrently I haven't encountered any issue with malware. Ever.

I've had many years of trouble free Android and iPhone use. I enjoy them both, immensely... :)

So, you think all forms of malware will let you know they're there eh? Most members of a botnet have no clue they're a part of one. They downloaded something they thought was legit, and behind the scenes it turned their computer into a zombie. The same could easily happen with smartphones, in fact, I'd be amazed if there aren't at least thousands of zombie Android smartphones out there. It seems like an easy-to-tap source to me... I'm not saying your phone is one, but you never know. Just because you haven't experienced any issues, isn't a reason to say you're malware-free. ;)

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
This is good for Android users. I also like that Android will scan apps downloaded from outside the Play Store for malware, so you can be safe with those, too.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I had to read the headline several times to get that it’s not about Google Now. Title case, I like it so much.

How is this approval process a good thing for developers though? Seems to me that Google is pulling in the reigns.

Because people who rip off popular apps with low quality clones might be thwarted now.

Although the article says "Apple has been rather controlling and inconsistent at times" and that means the human element isn't constant. But some is better than nothing.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How will they ever survive with a walled garden? #

Seriously though, I'm glad they learned their lesson even though they'll never admit Apple was right all along.
Does everything Android and iOS related need to come down to a petty contest of who was right, who did what first?

It depends upon the criteria that Google uses for reviewing the apps.

Apple is a bit heavy-handed IMO, going way beyond preventing malware and mischievous apps from entering the app store. But their store, their rules.

The "wild west" of the Play Store was not good either. A basic review against malware is prudent and doesn't need to go beyond that.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
How will they ever survive with a walled garden? ��

<Insert walled garden joke here> ;)

the 'allow apps from unknown sources' security checkbox isnt going anywhere..

there is no wall, this is just play store

i would be raging if they took away freedom

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Too little too late. There is already so much tosh in the play store it's unreal. And quick reviews are not going to necessarily be thorough ones. Just proves that what Apple has been doing has been right all along. Wonder what else they will suddenly start doing!

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
Absolutely no point in doing it fast.

When apple takes too long for an App review it does it for two reasons, keeping malware away and stringent relgulation on the quality of the apps.

Anyone who has submitted an app to apple and got rejected knows that apple does not just balatanly rejects but actually gives great feedback on the quality of the apps and what could be inproved in the interface to make the app look better.

Apple's suggestions are so good that many of the developers end up being a lot more successful than otherwise.

In order to give great feedback one must spend enough time on the app. I doubt Googles reasons for doing the manual check for submission of apps are for the same reason as apple. I suspect that may be there automatic submission is not good enough to keep the malware away. Hence the move.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Honestly the review times aren't that bad if it's not right after a shutdown or major iOS/hardware release. That being said Apple probably should hire more reviewers because they can.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
good move by Google. there's absolutely a necessity for a curated App store for people who just want to safely download and install applications to their devices.

As long as Google doesn't get rid of the openess of the platform itself to install 3rd party Applications via sideloading, they're not changing their fundamental strategy of software. Just making the play store safer.

should help further eliminate the Malware, as little of it that is left.

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
The actual review process is actually pretty fast. When I submit an app it usually sits there for days waiting for review. Then status changes to "In review" and after view hours the app is approved.

But if it was 2-3 days it would be better.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Apples review does not take so long because they take so much time to review each app. Apple doesn't do that, some of my Apps go so fast through review that I doubt that the reviewer did anything else besides starting the app and looking at the first screen for 5 seconds.

History has shown that Apples review is not as good as Apple and their users claim. It doesn't do much against apps with bad quality, it doesn't do anything against clones. Review is used to enforce copyright and content guidelines. If they see a nipple you are out. If your app crashes when you start it a second time nobody will notice.

Well now. That explains how a useless app like I Am Rich sneaked into the Apple App Store.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Is it just me hor do Apples manual review procedures seem to be getting slacker and slacker? There are so many 2048 and flappy bird clones in the App Store that it makes me not want to search for new games.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I bet Android fans all think this is a good idea now.

Android is still way more open. If you wanna install apps outside the play store all you have to do is check the box in settings that says unknown sources. In apple its either jailbreak or nothing.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Despite haters opinions, and click bait headlines, malware hasn't been much of an issue.

I use Google Play Apps as regularly, frequently and in nearly the same quantities as I do the iOS app store. After years on each platform concurrently I haven't encountered any issue with malware. Ever.

I've had many years of trouble free Android and iPhone use. I enjoy them both, immensely... :)

Give me a break. You are not the judge that. Reports stating the avalanche of malware are the ones to trust here. That you personally have not had any means nothing . I don't run an anti-virus on my Windows 8.1 computer and haven't had a virus since the early 1990s. What does that mean, that there are no virus on Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.