Google Now: Now on your Chrome Desktop PC

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

For those wanting Google Now cards to show up on your Mac or PC (and you are a Chrome user, of course) you can now get Google Now cards via Chrome. There is a catch though. You need Chrome Canary. What is Chrome Canary you ask? Canary is the Alpha build of Chrome. Most of you have heard of Chrome Beta, well this is the Alpha version, and you will have to download it first. This is the "bleeding edge, get all the crap first, hope it works right" version of Chrome. I have been running it for the last 24 hours and it has been stable on Windows 8.1 for me. YMMV.

Here is the link to download Canary: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/canary.html

Once you download it, go into the address bar and type: chrome://flags/#enable-google-now
    Now relaunch Canary. You should see a bell icon in your system tray.

(IF that didn't work, do the following as well:
    Go into the address bar and type: chrome://flags

Scroll down the page a bit (or hit control button and the f key to find) "Enable Rich Notifications", "Enable experimental UI for Notifications", and "Enable Synced Notifications". They will be one right after the other in the list. Click "Relaunch Now" at the bottom when done.)

You will see a little bell icon show up in the system tray (bottom right hand corner on Windows and upper right hand corner in OSX), indicating you now have Google Now notifications. What does this do for you?

Info on Pics below:

This is the 'Chrome Canary icon' seen in the lower left portion of the first screenshot (same design as the Chrome icon, just yellowish). And the second screenshot shows me a reminder I set on my Nexus 5 and then showing up as a Google Now card on my Desktop.

Attached Files:

2. Lloydbm41, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Note: This is not for everyone. This is an Alpha version of Chrome. If you simply want to post a hateful comment about Chrome, Google or Windows, please don't.
    This is an informative thread for those that 'may' want to try this.

And remember: "It's nice, to be nice" Quote from Gina Trapani @ Thinkup.com

3. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I'm excited for this! I've been waiting for Google Now integration on Chrome for a long while!

4. DeathTheKid macrumors member

DeathTheKid

If you can beat 'em join them. If they can't sell you a Chromebook, they will turn your Mac/PC into a Chromebook.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This is awesome! I'll have to try it out this evening.

6. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

7. bearda macrumors 6502

I wonder how well this will work on a laptop/desktop, since the majority of the Google Now stuff I use is location based.

8. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

It is based on the location info of your mobile device, as that is what feeds Google Now.

9. Todd B. macrumors 6502

Wow, you mean I can let Google steal my information in exchange for being able to see what the weather is even though I could just look out the window? No thanks. :rolleyes:

10. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Please see post 2. There is no reason to post hateful or spiteful comments in this thread. This is simply an information and how-to thread.
    Thank you.

11. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Virtually every post you make in this section is a troll post, if you can't control yourself don't come in here.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Google is trying so hard to make me give up my default FF browser. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened sooner or later.

13. itsmeorthedog macrumors member

How was his post spiteful or hateful???

14. steviewhy, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

steviewhy macrumors regular

15. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

No thanks to NSA browser. I stay at Firefox.

16. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I'm trying it atm, thank you very much to Lloydbm41. Excellent.:D

17. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Thanks Dave.

I didn't want to mention this in the original post, but Pushbullet is an app you put on your PC and your phone and it allows you to customize any or all of your notifications to show up on your PC in the same place as the Google Now cards. Also allows for transferring files between your PC and phone a snap. Might want to check out Pushbullet as well. You may like it more and it is less intrusive than dealing with Chrome Canary. Cheers mate.

18. Todd B. macrumors 6502

My mistake.. I forgot that any post that doesn't extol the virtuous and noble Google is a troll post. :rolleyes:

19. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Hopefully this is better than Google now on android. Yep been using it for a good full year and yet to see how it has improved my mobile life, even slightly.

----------

I guess he missed the memo that praising Google now for whatever reason is the "in" thing around here.