Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I generally use Safari, but with the NCAA games the flash-based plugin is really flakey. I ended up using Chrome because the video was smooth.

I really like bookmark syncing in Safari, but I'm going to try out Chrome and see if I can get a similar experience.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
.. and for those of you who see the 'google notification icon' suddenly appear in the toolbar and want it to go away

chrome://flags

search for 'Enable Rich Notifications' and Disable it.

It's not obvious, well I didn't think it was.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
People still use Chrome on a Mac? Chrome is dog slow and power hungry these days. It's fallen significantly behind Safari in performance on a Mac and on Windows it's font rendering is absolutely atrocious. And it's always been buggy on Android to the point that many if not most Android users prefer the stock Android browser over Chrome when available.

I almost feel sorry for the Chrome team because it used to be really good. Now it's reputation is that of a subpar browser on all platforms.

Honestly, everything you said is true. Google needs to optimize their damn code, and use some more native apis, like for scrolling, and memory management, it's a ****ing mess.

----------

Tell me more about this 64-bit-requiring workflow.

When OS X drops it's 32 bit system libraries chrome's gonna have to be 64 bit, that's for damn certain.

alex.maxham

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
I actually miss Chrome. I just switched from PC to Mac a little while ago, and had to use Safari since Chrome chews up my battery so quickly. I get about double the battery life with Safari than I did with Chrome. it's sad. Google, fix yo *****.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Awesome!

People still use Chrome on a Mac? Chrome is dog slow and power hungry these days.

I get pages loading faster on chrome than safari. Safari's flash is junk. And I have not noticed chrome being slow at all. And I don't care about power since my laptop is always connected to AC (but I do use safari on my ipad for this reason)

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Tell me more about this 64-bit-requiring workflow.

In Denmark, where I live, we have something called NemID. NemID is a digital signature / sign-in technology used by all online banks, tax-services and all other public services.
If you want to do, say, some online banking, you need to sign in using NemID. And, for security reasons I guess, NemID requires a 64-bit browser. Ultimately rendering Chrome useless for a lot of tasks if you happen to live in Denmark.

Now that you hopefully understand my 'workflow', Mr. Wonderful — and no longer consider me a 64-bit-rules-fool, why not tell me all about your 32-bit one?

PS: 'Nem' means 'easy' in danish.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Built in as in...?

And does it offer the option to stop lid sleep?

Built in, as in open Terminal, and type in Caffeinate.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but it will allow you to keep your computer from sleeping until a certain process is done (so for example you could start a download in Safari, make it close the app when it's done downloading, start caffinate, and tell it to not sleep until Safari closes)

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Built in, as in open Terminal, and type in Caffeinate.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but it will allow you to keep your computer from sleeping until a certain process is done (so for example you could start a download in Safari, make it close the app when it's done downloading, start caffinate, and tell it to not sleep until Safari closes)

Thanks!

I meant a function that allows you to keep the macbook from sleeping when the lid is closed. I'll stick with Insomnia X, but thanks for the explanation all the same!:D

----------

Zooming in safari? That's really needed?

Sounds like chrome would do it if apple would allow it

Yes. the zooming is really quite smooth and fluid. That coupled with the 2 finger swipe to go back convinced me to stick with Safari. I love the fact that I can zoom on smaller parts of a webpage by using the same gestures on my iPad. Of course, Chrome also has pinch to zoom, but it's clunky and harder to use.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Yes. the zooming is really quite smooth and fluid. That coupled with the 2 finger swipe to go back convinced me to stick with Safari. I love the fact that I can zoom on smaller parts of a webpage by using the same gestures on my iPad. Of course, Chrome also has pinch to zoom, but it's clunky and harder to use.

As for Chrome and it's zoom, I've found that if you go to chrome://flags and enable smooth scrolling it really is comparable to Safari (although I have NO idea why Google hasn't made that the default, maybe is requires an API that wasn't available in 10.6?)

also, Chrome has two finger swiping to go back, just swipe from the left to the center and a little arrow will pop up, let go and it takes you back.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Now Officially Comes to Chrome for Desktop

Come on Apple, where's Siri for Macintosh??

Ughh... Why would you want that useless Bitch on your mac anyway... Can't get her to do one thing right on the iPhone... God I hate Siri

And I hate to say it... But google's voice recognition can understand me a whole lot better... Google translate is an app from the heavens, had to use it Madrid

Last edited:

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Here's a trick to turn it on early

in chrome type:

chrome://flags

Then scroll down to:

Google Now Mac, Windows, Chrome OS
Enable Google Now notifications support. #enable-google-now

Select "ENABLE"

restart chrome and profit.

Enjoy!

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
As for Chrome and it's zoom, I've found that if you go to chrome://flags and enable smooth scrolling it really is comparable to Safari (although I have NO idea why Google hasn't made that the default, maybe is requires an API that wasn't available in 10.6?)

also, Chrome has two finger swiping to go back, just swipe from the left to the center and a little arrow will pop up, let go and it takes you back.

Thanks for the zooming tip, but it says "it's not available for your platform" for some reason:(. (EDIT: I see it's only for Windows and Linux for some reason) I'm aware of that the 2 finger swipe to go back exists, but I really prefer to be able to see what was underneath it. I guess it's all personal preference. I use Chrome for Google Drive because it supports multiple users but everything else go to Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.