Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So I am coming from an iPhone 4S. I'm used to just holding down the hone button to get Siri. With Google Now, I need to swipe up from the bottom and then press a tiny microphone button in order to talk (yes I know about saying "Google" but it is very inconsistent for me). Is there any way to eliminate that extra step? Where I just swipe up and once Google Now appears I can start talking?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So I am coming from an iPhone 4S. I'm used to just holding down the hone button to get Siri. With Google Now, I need to swipe up from the bottom and then press a tiny microphone button in order to talk (yes I know about saying "Google" but it is very inconsistent for me). Is there any way to eliminate that extra step? Where I just swipe up and once Google Now appears I can start talking?

Press the mic icon from the Google Search bar. Takes you directly to Google Now and it starts listening.

Hit that mic button that's in every single home screen:

googleio20124015-1.jpg

Otherwise, no, I don't believe there's a quicker way in terms of using it from home-swipe up.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
If you are using Nova launcher, you can set the swipe-up gesture to bring up voice search, if that is what you want.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353799905142.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353799905142.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 87

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Just press the microphone button on the Google Bar at the top or set a custom gesture that automatically opens up voice.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Just press the microphone button on the Google Bar at the top or set a custom gesture that automatically opens up voice.

The whole point is that I don't want to have to look for a small icon to tap. I am most likely to use Google now when in the car so I don't have to look. Doing that defeats the whole purpose.

What app allows me to set a custom gesture for that?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Does someone know how to make sport scores appear on Google now? There's no way I can get them.

I've done team searches on Google and have some teams set up on settings, and still no way...

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
The more I use Google now the more I see that it's not really a Siri competitor in terms of being able to do a lot without any touch interaction. Even sending a text you have to use the screen to confirm but with Siri you can just say yes. Don't get me wrong, voice search and all that work well. But it requires more physical interaction than I expected. Not really a complete virtual assistant in my mind.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London

surely coming from iOS you're used to jumping through a million hoops to achieve basic tasks?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The more I use Google now the more I see that it's not really a Siri competitor in terms of being able to do a lot without any touch interaction. Even sending a text you have to use the screen to confirm but with Siri you can just say yes. Don't get me wrong, voice search and all that work well. But it requires more physical interaction than I expected. Not really a complete virtual assistant in my mind.

You might want to check out utter! then. There was a thread about it a few days ago by dalbir4444 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1493427/

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, it's not really a complete virtual assistant. Try this app instead:

utter

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012

This is my favorite.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speaktoit.assistant

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The whole point is that I don't want to have to look for a small icon to tap. I am most likely to use Google now when in the car so I don't have to look. Doing that defeats the whole purpose.

What app allows me to set a custom gesture for that?

Hold the menu button down OR you can hold the home button down and then on the dock in the middle is a g icon that brings up Google Now. At least that is how it is on my GS3.

Also in the Playstore there is a App called Utter that is pretty damn cool. You might like that better than Google Now or Siri. You can see Utter in action here . Still in Beta but works very well.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Hold the menu button down OR you can hold the home button down and then on the dock in the middle is a g icon that brings up Google Now. At least that is how it is on my GS3.

Also in the Playstore there is a App called Utter that is pretty damn cool. You might like that better than Google Now or Siri. You can see Utter in action here . Still in Beta but works very well.

Just a swipe up on the nexus 4. And then the tiny button. I want a simple one step process. But apparently none exist for free.

I tried utter but every time I opened it another utter app icon showed up on my home screen, such a weird bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.