Google offers "opt out" of Analytics

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by miles01110, May 25, 2010.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Looks like Google is at least going through the motions of being an "industry leader" (hah hah) in the privacy arena, or at least making their efforts visible (to people that actually care enough) to distance themselves from facebook. Doesn't mean you can take off your tin hat, but it's a step in the right direction.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/20...+wired/index+(Wired:+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))

Here's the direct link to the plugin:

http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Nice that they don't support Safari. Will this change if Apple comes out with official extension support, or will Google try to ignore Safari even then? If Apple provides official extension support and Google still doesn't add Safari to the list, I'm sure some lawyer will start a class action lawsuit and make a ton of money.

3. miles01110 thread starter macrumors Core

miles01110

Err...no. Google's not under any obligation to produce plugins, nor are they under any obligation to offer opting out.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I've been opting out for a while now. I use NoScript for Firefox. Google Analytics is blocked in it.

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Well they've made it for three browsers already, I'm sure they'll cater for Safari once they can do so.

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Why use a plugin? just add this to your hosts file:
    Code:
    0.0.0.0 www.google-analytics.com google-analytics.com